Gears click hard into place - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Gears click hard into place

Hey Guys,

I have a 2005 RC51. Absolutely LOVE the bike.

I've noticed that when the bike is warm, and I shift up, the gears really click hard into place. I don't know if this is normal for these bikes or not but I cringe every time i shift.

Shifting down is pretty smooth because I blip the throttle. Really need your guys' advice and input before I start freaking out and take it in to get it looked at.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 09:55 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
How many miles on your oil change? Mine starts shifting hard after about 2K in this hot weather so I change it and all is fine.

2004 RC51 with multipul mods
1985 VF1000R SOLD 😭
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 10:17 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
The 1st to 2nd shift can be slightly clunky due to clutch mass, but 2nd to 6th on mine is silky smooth. One of the best gearboxes I've used, at that's with over 36K miles on it.

When I switched my steel drive plates over to aluminum Hyperplates, the 1st to 2nd shift became a non-issue due to the reduction of clutch mass.
Too bad they don't make them anymore. It really made shifting wonderful.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 12:52 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by atvrcr500 View Post
How many miles on your oil change? Mine starts shifting hard after about 2K in this hot weather so I change it and all is fine.
+1 I change my oil very often (1,800 ~ 2,200) depending on how hard I have ridden.

Its expensive but well worth it in the long run. I have sold several bikes I have owned since they were brand new. The folks who know me and my maintenance habits are waiting in line to buy these bikes when I decide to sell. (And they know I ride these things to my limits...)

Get into a good maintenance habit now, you will only benefit and appreciate the rides that much better.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Hey Guys,

Thank you very much for the input. I think its about time to get an oil change. I bought the bike back in December and put about 1,500 miles on it. The previous owner said he had put about 2K since the last oil change. So I guess its about time I get this done. I will update you guys as soon as I get the oil change.

Thanks again!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 06:43 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
The 1st to 2nd shift can be slightly clunky due to clutch mass, but 2nd to 6th on mine is silky smooth. One of the best gearboxes I've used, at that's with over 36K miles on it.

When I switched my steel drive plates over to aluminum Hyperplates, the 1st to 2nd shift became a non-issue due to the reduction of clutch mass.
Too bad they don't make them anymore. It really made shifting wonderful.
I wonder if titanium and the clutch plates materials would be compatible? I wonder what your aluminum plates look like now?? Reverse engineering is not out of the question for me...

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbuyer View Post
I wonder if titanium and the clutch plates materials would be compatible? I wonder what your aluminum plates look like now?? Reverse engineering is not out of the question for me...
So far they're holding up pretty well.
I understand what I'm dealing with, so I try and hook up the clutch with as little slippage as necessary.
I also understand that nothing lasts forever, and that one day the hard anodizing will wear.
My choices there will be to either try and have them hard anodized again (or apply some other treatment), or go back to the steel plates (which I kept just for that reason).

Just to illustrate the weight difference, a set of 6 OEM steel drive plates weigh 590 gm, while a set of 6 Hyperplates only weighs 215 gm.
That's 65% less mass that has to be spun up or down during shifting.

It's too bad they're not made anymore, because they really improved the ease of shifting.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 11:57 PM

so did you change the oil yet ? some times its that easy

• Penske triple adjustable shock Moriwaki linkage
  • forks , valves , springs ,top-out mod
  • Moriwaki rearsets
  • Carbon Airbox heatshielding custom K&N panel filter
  • Power Commander USB
  • Galfer superbike full foating rotors - SS braided lines
  • Brembo 19 RCS Adjustable Ratio Radial Brake Master Cylinder
  • DID 520 gold chain
  • CRG folding clutch lever
  • Relocated battery Shortened wiring harness
  • Flapper PAIR EVAP removed
  • Soft Rev limiter removed
  • 15/41 gears 520
  • Vortex clip-ons
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 02:32 AM Thread Starter

Unfortunately not yet... Got an appointment for Sept 10th at a local honda dealership. I guess they're really busy... wait list is almost a month out.

Having another problem now... the front brakes feel really spongy. I can squeeze the level all the way to the grip. I haven't rode in almost 3 weeks... rode today and they were like that. There is fluid in the reservoir. Could this happen with the bike just sitting there for 3 weeks?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 08:07 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Subsailor,

Not trying to make you wrong, but the driveplates on a clutch are only a small proportion of the total weight being driven round on the same shaft. You have the clutch basket, shaft, gears, etc. too. So it's not really 65% less mass.

Regarding brakes - sounds like you might have some air in the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
So far they're holding up pretty well.
I understand what I'm dealing with, so I try and hook up the clutch with as little slippage as necessary.
I also understand that nothing lasts forever, and that one day the hard anodizing will wear.
My choices there will be to either try and have them hard anodized again (or apply some other treatment), or go back to the steel plates (which I kept just for that reason).

Just to illustrate the weight difference, a set of 6 OEM steel drive plates weigh 590 gm, while a set of 6 Hyperplates only weighs 215 gm.
That's 65% less mass that has to be spun up or down during shifting.

It's too bad they're not made anymore, because they really improved the ease of shifting.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode