So I think I blew my motor... - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I think I blew my motor...

Today I got home and noticed the entire right side of my bike was covered in oil and oil was leaking onto the driveway. I checked the oil level and it was regular. I started it back up and it made a clanking noise and I swear I thought it was a connecting rod snapping on me or something. However, everything seemed to check out and I started it up again and now it was running normal without any out of the ordinary engine noise.

Alright, so check that, I'm pretty sure my motor isn't blown since it's not making funky noises, but what the hell could it be?

Last edited by raylee; 08-18-2011 at 06:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 08:12 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Have you done the PAIR mod recently?

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 08:30 PM

Sounds like the swing arm might need to be replaced. I will take your old one for pennies on the dollar. Its a win win since its old and has gone bad.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 09:04 PM
RC51 Forums Moderator

Send a message via AIM to 1ofakindRR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome_Rob View Post
Sounds like the swing arm might need to be replaced. I will take your old one for pennies on the dollar. Its a win win since its old and has gone bad.
^^^ Hmm.... That's borderline advertizing.

Anyways, does it look like it was dropped while you weren't home?

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

My buddy took a look and thinks it's my valve cover gasket. It would make sense as the only thing out of the ordinary is the massive amount of oil that covers the right side of the bike after riding it and a slightly high idle. The bike still pulls well enough and there are no weird clanking noises coming from the motor. How is that possible? Could having a pinched line caused a rupture in the gasket? Hopefully we'll have some in stock at work tomorrow.

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Have you removed your airbox lately?
If so, check that your hose connecting the crankcase vent collection bottle to the airbox is attached.
If it has slipped off, the oil mist from the crankcase can escape and coat your engine.

Also check if your oil fill cap is tight and the O-ring is intact and not damaged.

I bought a fancy billet fill cap and the O-ring didn't quite match the groove it sat in.
Oil coated my clutch and right engine covers.

The cap was tight, but just didn't seal adequately.
I pulled it off and put the OEM back in. Money blown, but lesson learned.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Well, I did have my bike "pop" and die on me 2 times and some googling has indicated either a pinched breather hose or a bad stator. My cap n' o-ring are in good condition as I checked them during my last oil change. I'm gonna lift the tank now and see if I can get a look at the valve cover. I'm hoping hoping hoping hoping that's the issue and it's because I just pinched a hose.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 10:32 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
When you lift the fuel tank, that would be a good time to check the crankcase vent hose connection, plus if you have done the PAIR mod, check if your block-off plates are drooling.

For better sealing, you can use the block off plates along with the reed valve piece that has the rubber seal.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Well, it seems that the gasket has blown off a bit. I don't have my camera with me, but on the right side of the rear valve cover, the "tab" for the gasket was off, like completely off. If you're familiar with the gasket you should know what i'm talking about, there are like two tabs that kind of droop down to complete the seal. Anyways...

Where is the crank case vent hose connection? Honestly, the only thing I've recently done was a PCIII since my bike started having issues. What could cause my valve cover to blow like that? The first time my bike did the "pop" then die on me was when I first rode in the rain and it did it again this morning. Lo' and behold I get home from work and notice my bike's covered in oil. I've never lifted my airbox before and never had this issue prior to installing my PCIII. Could a bad map be causing this? Maybe it's just a short somewhere in the system?

Last edited by raylee; 08-18-2011 at 11:28 PM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ofakindRR View Post
^^^ Hmm.... That's borderline advertizing.
It is? I just need a swingarm. I was joking with the guy. It's not that serious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode