FI light comes on - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
FI light comes on

So i havent been able to ride my bike that much being i have a slightly bent front rim only time ive rode the bike is to take it to a couple places to have them look at the front rim.

My problem:
ill be riding along and my FI light will come on the bike will backfire then the light goes off and wont do this for another 10mins or so if im riding the bike easy it does this but if im on the throttle hard it doesnt do it what should I check for im kinda lost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

anybody have any ideal of what is wrong with this poor bike? My rims will be here tomorrow and im gonna try to ride this weekend and dont want the bike running poorly
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 09:52 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Has these symptoms been happening on the same tank of fuel, or on the fuel from the same Petro station?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

problem started when I found out the front rim was bent an I stopped riding it an the bike sat for a bit now it throws that fi light an back fires
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
sounds like you got hold of some bad Petrol / Gas ...maybe a bit of fuel additive would help ?? Not sure, but I am confident that Sub or someone else here will know exactly what to do.

2001 SP1 - Code Name F-Bomb - PCIII USB / D&D High Mount System / 42T / EK SRX 530X / CRG Levers / K&N Filters / Stomp Grip / Rev Limiter Mod / Flapper Mod / PAIR Mod / Undertail / Hugger / 6K HID Lights / Speigler lines / Wave Rotors / CF Airbox / Shorai Battery - More to come, as soon as my slush fund get's more "Slushy" !
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Since the FI light comes on, I doubt that it's directly fuel contamination related.

It sounds more like a possible loose electrical connection or sensor issue.
Many with corroded or loose battery or ground connectors have had these symptoms.

Since the problem is sporadic but frequently occurs, I'd first use the service manual procedure to clear all current codes.

Then ride the bike until the problem reoccurs. Then again use the manual to check the new FI codes to have the system report what it detects.

If it doesn't show any fault codes, then it's probably not a sensor issue.
Then I'd check for the loose/corroded battery and ground connectors for starters.
Also I'd check the ECU connectors also.

As insurance, buy a tube of silicone dielectric grease and dab some into all your electrical connectors to waterproof the contacts and prevent corrosion/oxidation.
One tube is more than enough for the bike. Wonderful stuff.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 07:57 PM

could it be a bad gas cap ?? i know if on a car you leave the cap off a warning light comes on ,

• Penske triple adjustable shock Moriwaki linkage
  • forks , valves , springs ,top-out mod
  • Moriwaki rearsets
  • Carbon Airbox heatshielding custom K&N panel filter
  • Power Commander USB
  • Galfer superbike full foating rotors - SS braided lines
  • Brembo 19 RCS Adjustable Ratio Radial Brake Master Cylinder
  • DID 520 gold chain
  • CRG folding clutch lever
  • Relocated battery Shortened wiring harness
  • Flapper PAIR EVAP removed
  • Soft Rev limiter removed
  • 15/41 gears 520
  • Vortex clip-ons
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 09:07 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Check for shorts and loose connections.....Sub's advice on the dielectric grease is excellent too.

Bad gas can be remedied by adding more good gas and running it out....pending on how long it set?

The FPR would be a last resort

Keep us posted and good luck!

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Bike has sat around a month or so but I drained the gas out and put some New 93octane in and hopefully this weekened ill have the rims on and ill be able to ride it and it wont have problems
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
Since the FI light comes on, I doubt that it's directly fuel contamination related.

It sounds more like a possible loose electrical connection or sensor issue.
Many with corroded or loose battery or ground connectors have had these symptoms. Since the problem is sporadic but frequently occurs, I'd first use the service manual procedure to clear all current codes.

Then ride the bike until the problem reoccurs. Then again use the manual to check the new FI codes to have the system report what it detects.

If it doesn't show any fault codes, then it's probably not a sensor issue.
Then I'd check for the loose/corroded battery and ground connectors for starters.
Also I'd check the ECU connectors also.

As insurance, buy a tube of silicone dielectric grease and dab some into all your electrical connectors to waterproof the contacts and prevent corrosion/oxidation.
One tube is more than enough for the bike. Wonderful stuff.
If you do ALL these things, you'll get to the source of your problem much faster. Shortcuts = continuing problems. I took Sub's advice a long time ago about the dielectric grease. You can use a q-tip, or toothpick to apply it to the connectors and pins. I noticed a few of my connections where the metal had turned a green color. Oxidation. Bad for electric conductivity. I cleaned them what I was able with a small ignition file or sandpaper. then the lube

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc51anthony View Post
could it be a bad gas cap ?? i know if on a car you leave the cap off a warning light comes on ,
You're paranoid about gas caps now! I'm so NOT clowning you, but I had to chuckle a little After all, who wants a sucked in gas tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbuyer View Post
Check for shorts and loose connections.....Sub's advice on the dielectric grease is excellent too.

Bad gas can be remedied by adding more good gas and running it out....pending on how long it set?

The FPR would be a last resort

Keep us posted and good luck!
Madbuyer, I think you need to check your shorts. Your wife tells me you got bad gas!

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode