Looking At A 2002....... - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Looking At A 2002.......

Been wanting to get a RC for years, I'm always casually looking at them for sale and found a 2002 with 12K, dual Yosh's, Undertail, Scott's Dampener, tinted screen, never been down. The rear cowl blew off other day, so he said he would let me have it for 4K. Should I keep looking or jump on it? Sounds pretty fair, but not having all that much experience with these, thought I'd get some feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 07:52 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
jondog9 is a Cali resident and this sounds like a decent price for your area...he may come along soon and give you the skinny.

GL

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 09:38 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
That sounds like a damn good deal for only 12k mi. Out here, Low milage seems to be more important than it really is and they get over priced. Especially from what I've been seeing lately on CL and Ebay. As long as the bike checks out to close inspection, yeah, that's a very good deal with the goodies it has on it. That's all good stuff. Probably more done to it that you don't know about yet. Like flapper mod and PAIR mod...

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
That sounds like a damn good deal for only 12k mi. Out here, Low milage seems to be more important than it really is and they get over priced. Especially from what I've been seeing lately on CL and Ebay. As long as the bike checks out to close inspection, yeah, that's a very good deal with the goodies it has on it. That's all good stuff. Probably more done to it that you don't know about yet. Like flapper mod and PAIR mod...
Everything I've been seeing has been in the $4500 and up range. Not sure if those mods have been done or not? Anything lower than that has either been dropped, low sided, or has 40k miles on it. I know the guy is pretty picky. I would have to buy a cowl, and there is a small crack about an inch long where the side fairing was overtightened. It's at a place and angle that makes it barely noticeable. Always figured if a good enough deal came along, I would pull the trigger. Just want to make sure. I really like the black ones, but those are way overpriced IMO.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 10:17 PM
Lifetime Premium

When you go to look at this bike do the following:

1) Pull the side fairings to check for bent damaged stays.- signs of droppage

2) Coolant leaks.(Stains around the hose connections, on the parts immediately below/around the connections) Hose condition too.

3) Oil leaks-which are rare but happen.

4) Oil condition- look at the sight glass, if it hazed or etched, the oil wasn't changed with great regularity.

5) Brake/hydraulic fluids- cloud-old and needs replaced

6) You are near the first valve adjustment maybe barter a couple hundered off for that.

7) Chain alignment / lash- if its off or loose, the routine adjustments were neglected.

8) Transmission lash- If its sloppy, its been tracked or ridden really hard. You will have to ride to notice this. (Others may chime in here for more detailed diagnosis)

9) BUY THAT BITCH IF ALL OF THIS CHECKS OUT!!!

There is another list too if you buy it...

post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Appreciate that....I've bought several bikes before, some site unseen, been pretty lucky. He's a ways away from me, so I'll have to meet him halfway.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 10:34 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by YtseJam View Post
Appreciate that....I've bought several bikes before, some site unseen, been pretty lucky. He's a ways away from me, so I'll have to meet him halfway.
Yeah but have you ever bought an RC51?? Now thats what I call a lucky guy right there

post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbuyer View Post
Yeah but have you ever bought an RC51?? Now thats what I call a lucky guy right there
Can't argue with that!
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 10:56 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Look closely at the radiator mounts too. Sometimes vibration gets the better of those, but with that low of milage... also give a glance to the single hose on the right side of the bike that goes to the bottom. It looks like an overflow hose, it should show -zero-signs of any leakage. that's the water pump seal inspection hose.

I always just take an allen wrench set, a 10 & 8 mm socket, and a #3 phillip head screwdriver to pull the fairings. And a small flashlight. Believe me, it's worth it to 'look under the hood'. imo.
A brand new rear cowl complete can be had from the dealership for about $100. Brand new oem from a couple online sites, about 75, used and whatever condition, about $50
Also, look for a PowerCommander to match those Yosh's with the proper fuel map on the bike. Should be under the cowl, on top of the bike's ECU.
Offer $3800, see what happens...

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 11:45 AM
Lifetime Premium

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...609783ee#v4-40

Here is another one that may be worth the cash.....just in extras

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode