turnone CF arbox filter and snorkel installation - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
turnone CF arbox filter and snorkel installation

Hi all,

well have the new ladybird motogps installed, and the turnone airbox.

Because I am no mechanic I had them done at a bike shop and the guy said the snorkel shouldnt be installed on the roadbike as the headlights hang loose (or something like that).

So, anyone have the snorkel on a purely road setup and have any issues installing? Brett sent me some pics but just wondering if anyone had any probs or tips for installing the snorkel.

I also have the radiator scoops and I believe some fairing mods are required to install - again does anyone have any experience putting these on? I really dont want to have to modify the stock fairings...

And finally, anyone with tips on improving the filtering on the turnone airbox, it looks a bit flimsy...

Now if only the BST wheels arrive i'll be happy...

any help much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
The T-O snorkel does not have upper cowl side mounts as part of the design.
The T-O snorkel is supposed to fit around the raised area of the intake and supports the cowl via the single upper cowl mount bolt.

On mine, I was planning to adding aluminum brackets to the T-O snorkel to mate with the upper cowl mounting lugs similar to how the OEM works for added support.

However, I had fitment issues with my T-O snorkel.
After spending some time with test fitments, I found that the front vertical intake dimensions of my T-O snorkel did not match those of the upper cowl.
The T-O snorkel was much taller than the OEM snorkel intake.

When test fitted, this tended to try and wedge the headlights apart, and in my opinion, placing a lot of lateral stress on the upper cowl.
The upper cowl is made of thin ABS plastic, and I felt that the stress could potentially cause the cowl to crack.

So I removed my T-O snorkel and reverted back to the OEM snorkel.
I removed the inner divider used by the flapper valve of the OEM snorkel and cleaned up the intake area.

The T-O radiator scoops do require modification of the lower inner cowl to fit around the scoops.
Instead of modifying the lower inner cowl, others have removed the it to clear the scoops.

As for the T-O airbox filtration issue, myself and others have centered around two areas of improvement.
1) The use of a modified K&N panel filter element (rectangular element) that can be slid into the filter mount guides of the airbox.
2) The use of UNI foam filter element for use with the T-O airbox mesh screen.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thanks for that,

any details on the K&N filter used and the uni foam filter, im away from the bike for anothe rmonth but want to try and order something so its waiting for me when i get back to her

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bootrossbootross View Post
thanks for that,

any details on the K&N filter used and the uni foam filter, im away from the bike for anothe rmonth but want to try and order something so its waiting for me when i get back to her
This is the panel filter that one forum member was using for his T-O SP1 airbox.
http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?prod=33-2633

The T-O SP2 airbox has an angled opening at the bottom as opposed to the rectanular opening for the SP1 airbox. This was due to the necessity to clear the steering head bracing gussets on the SP1.
You may need to trim the lower panel filter area to fit the opening.

The UNI filter bulk sheets come in three grades, course 40 PPI (red), fine 60 PPI (black), and extra-fine 65 PPI (green).
The filter sheet can be trimmed to fit the airbox mesh. They can also be combined with a course element and fine or extra-fine element.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode