New SP2 owner-What to check while going over the bike? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New SP2 owner-What to check while going over the bike?

Hey everyone,

My name's Dave, and I just picked up my first RC51. The bike is a 2002 w/14k miles. I found the bike forsale in mid-Missouri and it was owned by a guy who was the second owner, the first owner was his older brother, so it has always been with them.

Looking at the bike, it's in great shape with a few small "flaws", mostly from lack if mechanical/electrical ability it looks like. (i.e-the wiring for the flush mounts looked a little rough, but it's working properly. And a few mismatched clips/retainers)

I've owned 14 bikes, dirt and street, and have always maintained and repaired my own, so I'm familiar with most of the maintenance requirements, etc. I am just not very familiar with this exact bike though. That's why I'm here.

This weekend I am going to strip the bike down and go through it. The previous guy polished the frame/swingarm. So I'm going to strip it down and repaint those back the original black color. While I have it down, I was also planning on checking all the suspension bearings and bushing; pulling the forks off the inspect/lube the steering stem bearings; performing an oil change; plugs; and possibly checking my valve clearance.

Is there anything "bike specific" that I should look for while it's apart?

Also, the bike has a set of Jardine high-mount carbon slip-ons. They look cool and sound nice,....but they don't allow passenger pegs and I would like the the option of putting a lady friend on back here and there. Does anyone know if I can "swap" out the mid-pipes and make these standard mount pipes. If not, I may have to look at ordering a different set.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 09:07 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Coolant leaks stains, etched oil site glass (For those who don't change the oil!) Burnt or melted fairings (aftermarkets are rampant!)

Clutch fluid/brake fluid color, steering head bearings- check for movement, "clicking".

The one item that routinely goes bad is the Fuel Pipe Regulator (FPR), keep on of those on the shelf.

Other than that keeps the fluids changed service to listed intervals in the manual, clean and adjust the chain/sprockets, you should be good.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum.
It's fine to swap midpipes. And cans. Whatever works for you, but hopefully you have a power commander, so you can run the appropriate fuel map.
A couple bike specific things to check, that I can think of:

1.rad mounts and hoses-Our engines vibrate plenty, check the condition of both your rad mounts. They tend to crack if let go. I like to check the radiator/hose clamps on a *new to me* bike also.
2.overflow tube of waterpump-theres a single small drain-hose on the right side front of the bike that leads to the waterpump. That's the waterpump inspection hose, it should show zero sign of any leakage. When the pump bearing goes out, it leaks there. 1st picture.
3.operating temp of 174-183 & fine to go up to 220: That's where the thermostat opens up and it's common to see temps of 220-225 in the hot summer. Any hotter than that and you need to look into it. I can't remember the max temp but I think it may be as high as 256? Don't quote me on that.
4.gasline hose routings: Check that all these hoses are routed correctly, or they cause problems... 2nd and 3rd picture.
5.wiring/harness routings under the tank: A common problem we've all had here, lowering the tank after service, and wind up with a pinched wire or hose.
6.hydraulic clutch DOT4: Don't know if you had hydraulic clutch before, but ONLY DOT4. Do yourself a huge favor and flush it.
7.throttlebody boots: When you get your tank raised, check the upper and lower clamps on both throttlebody boots. They have a tendency to loosen.
8.Get your proper rider sag set, and adjust your compression and rebound appropriately. Fresh fork oil is always nice.

Hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Waterpump InspHose.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	2344   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel tank diag1.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	2345   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel tank diag2.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	2346  

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 06:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Download the repair manual for the RC51 as well - it's online (free), run a search on the forum and you'll find a link to it...

'06 Black/Metallic Gray RC51
-Competition Werkes FE w/
Clear Alternatives IT

'02 Silver/Black CBR 954RR
'11 Graphite Black CBR 1000RR (sold '15)
'08 Pearl Orange CBR 600RR (sold '11)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

That's awesome.

Thanks for the info/intel everyone!

And Cobra, I just downloaded it! Thanks
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 11:14 PM

It's a pretty bulletproof bike. change the oil and ride that f#cker
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 05:08 PM

Funny... I just read jondog9's post and my immediate response was.... "Oh Crap! Really? Is that so?... Man! Now I gotta go home and check all of that sh#t!"...LOL!!!

... Best part? I've had my '02 RC51 since 2006 and have never thought about most of that stuff!

Last edited by oneshot onekill; 02-20-2012 at 05:11 PM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneshot onekill View Post
Funny... I just read jondog9's post and my immediate response was.... "Oh Crap! Really? Is that so?... Man! Now I gotta go home and check all of that sh#t!"...LOL!!!

... Best part? I've had my '02 RC51 since 2006 and have never thought about most of that stuff!

And I'm just getting started! That's just the easy stuff to look at. There's more, plenty more!

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 09:46 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
4.gasline hose routings: Check that all these hoses are routed correctly, or they cause problems... 2nd and 3rd picture.
Check the vent line...a pinched one can mean you will soon have a gas tank that looks like it came off of a stunt bike.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbuyer View Post
Check the vent line...a pinched one can mean you will soon have a gas tank that looks like it came off of a stunt bike.
That's true. Didn't happen to me, but at some point I routed the vent tube wrong, and it ended up getting backwards and slipping down till it eventually hit the exhaust and melted shut I caught it pretty quick though, saw it dangling when checking tires.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode