how does the sp2 compare to the ktm rc8? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
how does the sp2 compare to the ktm rc8?

always wondered this, really unusual bike, its prob the only bike id consider trading my sp2 for (that or an aprilia rsv4) just wanted your thoughts on this

cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There's an article in this month's Bike (or Superbike). Both are British mags sold here in the States. They put them alongside eachother and compare. I see you're from the UK so check your newstand!

Having ridden both at speed on the track, the RC8 feels softer but much faster. More comfortable and refined too. The RC8 is also less cramped as you will read in that article. I want one in the worst way, but another RC51 will have to do for now. Same linear power, but the RC8 pulls you up to warp speed, comparable to any other modern liter bike. It's a pretty amazing bike to ride, light, agile, friendly, and powerful.

KTM used to put on trackdays at Mid-Ohio (AMA track) with 20 bikes, nearly all brand new RC8R's. Show up, the bikes are gassed and ready, and go ride all day with standard group sessions. The best part (besides being on RC8's) was it was only 100 bucks more than the average trackday. Unfortunately they pulled the plug for this year though.

Responsibly Irresponsible
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
there is a member on speedzilla with rc51 and rc8r. post a thread over there and he will jump in

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Apples and Oranges as any current bike pretty much trumps the RC51... The RC was built to compete with 750cc inlines. Current V-Twins can hold their own with pretty much anything both street or track. The RC specifically is hampered by not just being down on power, but by outright handling prowess as well. Don't misconstrue all current bikes need help with suspension and geometry changes too, but when you mod the suspension and geometry on the RC you are doing it to make the bike manageable at best. You get it to steer, make line corrections and not run you into the gravel trap. When you mod most current bikes in the same way you are not just trying to get them built up to a manageable level, but you are fine tuning them into a surgical instruments.

When the 1098 came out it swung a massive change in the way V-Twins were perceived. Since then large displacement V-Twins are getting more & more competitive with inline engine designs. So you really can't go wrong with a modern day V-twin from any manufacturer. BTW just for the sake of comparison the Ducati 848 makes the same HP as an RC51, but weighs 72lbs less
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 07:39 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I get every Bike issue i can and the write up was very good

2003 Honda RC51 - 46K+
----------------------------------
PCIIIr, SATO low mount C/F, hotbodies undertail, SATO F/S, CRG shorty BRK & CLTCH levers, Magical Racing C/F speedo cover and rear hugger, HRC clutch & F Brake sock covers, Galfer SS lines all around, pair valve mod
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH® View Post
Apples and Oranges as any current bike pretty much trumps the RC51... The RC was built to compete with 750cc inlines. Current V-Twins can hold their own with pretty much anything both street or track. The RC specifically is hampered by not just being down on power, but by outright handling prowess as well. Don't misconstrue all current bikes need help with suspension and geometry changes too, but when you mod the suspension and geometry on the RC you are doing it to make the bike manageable at best. You get it to steer, make line corrections and not run you into the gravel trap. When you mod most current bikes in the same way you are not just trying to get them built up to a manageable level, but you are fine tuning them into a surgical instruments.

When the 1098 came out it swung a massive change in the way V-Twins were perceived. Since then large displacement V-Twins are getting more & more competitive with inline engine designs. So you really can't go wrong with a modern day V-twin from any manufacturer. BTW just for the sake of comparison the Ducati 848 makes the same HP as an RC51, but weighs 72lbs less
with respect dude, ive setup my rc to a good spec and id say that handling isnt just managable, its close to the surgical instrument you described. my bro ownes a bored out honda nc30 and those things are almost impossible to keep up with on the twists. he takes it on track days and is pretty fast and he struggles to stay with me on the twisties. granted its not as quick at the latest machines but it can still scare them from time to time. also the reason the new v-twins are so fast is cos theyve got a 200cc advantage
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 10:28 AM

The best you know is only the best you have used...

Get on a Ducati 848 (that is 151cc less btw not 200cc more) with Full Ohlins and a 30mm Triple Clamp and you will kick your RC over in the garage. You have got to be honest about these things. The RC has never been known for its handling prowess ever. If you are one of those people that want to argue it's the best bike ever because it is the bike you own then this will be futile, but if you put some thought into it then it is not hard to come up with the same conclusion. Even back in the day when the RC was new a 2000 model Yamaha R6 would give an RC51 rider hell around a racetrack. The RC is a gratifying bike to ride, but it has never been a really great bike at anything. Stability was its strong point and its weakness at the same time. Front end bias is overwhelming when you try to push it and the lack of outright power to weight ratio combined with lack of race parts which were supposed to be readily available and never were made it lackluster for performance.

Oh & before someone starts trying to bring up how they won the WSBK championship etc let me tell you beyond any shadow of doubt that the Factory HRC RC51 race bikes literally don't share one single bolt with the production bikes we ride.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

lol, think we're gonna need to agree to disagree on this man, you've got alot to back up what yours sayin, but the rc is the 6th bike ive owned, incl a ducati 916 biposto and an 02 gsxr750. but not gonna argue with you, love this site too much
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 04:00 PM

I'm don't mind arguing I've owned dozens of bikes, I'm a test rider and I love pretty much anything with 2 wheels on it. I know what makes a good handling bike and what constitutes the opposite of that and I don't mind talking about it

I now see where you are coming from though. In comparison to a 20 year old 916 Biposto with 109rwhp yes the RC would definitely be considered an improvement all around. Seriously though ride an 848 even a bone stock one (let alone one modified for suspension and geometry enhancements) and you will never look at your RC the same again or throw a leg over a 05-06 GSXR 1000 and you will feel a mid-range grunt and torque effect that you will never be able to get out of your memory.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

lol, maybe scottish rc's are just better than u.s spec's....................oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh h!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode