Looking to buy 02' RC51 questions - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looking to buy 02' RC51 questions

I am looking to buy an 02" RC51 with 27k miles on it and am wondering what anybody has to say about it. Good thing to do or should I get one with less miles on it? Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 05:18 PM

what is the asking price and aftermarket components on it? Keep in mind if the bike has been taken care of it will easily hit 100k with very minimal problems. I know a few members here have high mileage on their bikes and have never had any issues.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

The guy is asking 4500 for it and it has jardine exhaust with a power commander but that is it. thank you for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike79rc View Post
what is the asking price and aftermarket components on it? Keep in mind if the bike has been taken care of it will easily hit 100k with very minimal problems. I know a few members here have high mileage on their bikes and have never had any issues.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 07:04 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
27,000 should be closer to $3700...imo

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 08:07 PM

Prices fluctuate locally. California, for instance, has much higher resale prices for motorcycles. I've seen late model RC51's going for upwards of $7,000 even with 10K or more miles. 27K miles on the clock is considerable wear and tear. The other thing to consider is that $4.5K is the asking price. If the bike is clean (no leaks, no cosmetic damage, never been dropped or raced), and has had a recent full service and has new tires, chain, etc., it might be a good buy. Since it's asking price, you can try to counter to get where you want.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 01:17 AM

That price seems a hair hi to me. As far as the mileage goes, my RC has just over 30k and is in tip top running condition! So, I wouldn't worry too much about the miles, but be sure to keep up on the services and what not!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 02:33 PM

+1 on the location. Places with year-round riding weather tend to have higher prices.
Don't worry about the mileage as long as the bike was properly maintained.
Price should probably be a bit lower IMO.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 02:59 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
How many owners has it had in those 27,000 miles? If it is the original owner, then it was probably taken care of. If it has been passed around, and doesn't have the original bodywork, it has probably been abused at some point in its life. I would offer him $2500 or $3000 tops. The bottom line is that it is an eleven year old bike with 30k on the clock. Think about what a CBR of the same vintage/miles would go for.

I'm always right.

2011 Bike of the Year
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the input and information. Unfortunatly the guy sold the bike already. I am still looking for one if any of you know of one that might be avaliable. Thank you
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 11:47 PM
Hig
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There's one in Rui, has some nice mods. He wants a bit much but you should be able to talk him down to a "normal" price. Maybe $4500-5000?

http://lascruces.en.craigslist.org/mcy/2968388983.html

I'll keep you posted if any of the 4-5 RC's in EP go up for sale...you can count mine out

PS I'll be in Rui on the 18th (rally) if you want to go jump the guy (with cash in hand of course,lol)

2001 #62. Ohlins rear/valves, Micron high mount, HyperPro damper, SharkSkinz, Tyga billet triple clamp, Tyga Carbon Fiber fender and hugger, Ti bolt/custom subframe/alien motion 8 cell diet, 15/41 520, COP conv. PCIII, Venhill lines, modified air box, turn signals in headlights...<deep breath> ZG Touring windscreen, Tech G rear sets, CRF450 rear master w/HRC cover, Tokico 6 pots w/V-pads, CRG Bar end mirrors, PSR Shorty levers-use only clutch, wanna-be basic racer paint, Roman Gold PC wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode