Brake lights....none - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Brake lights....none

The rear running lights are on but neither the foot or hand brake failed to activate the rear brake light. Seeing as it's both front and rear I wonder if its a fuse or if both bulbs have burnt any clues before I dig in would be helpful. Where do I find the fuse box for the rear brake lights. Thanks Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 12:43 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Ground fault. Common in Hondas after about 6-10+ years old. I fixed my 00 929 a decade ago ,and a customer's 06 600rr just last month.

Let me know if you want help and what your skill is.

Aaron
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So find all the grounds and check.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Check both bulbs.
Then check your brake switch at the front brake lever. With the bike off you should hear a little click from the switch box located right under the brake handle. There's two wires that you can (carefully) unplug then test the switch with a multimeter set to Ohms. You'll have infinity when the brake is at rest, and continuity when the lever is squeezed.

Start with that and let us know what you find out.

Brake lever at rest.

Brake lever squeezed.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 02:27 AM

Brake lights....none

It's not the switches nor bulbs bro. Rear signals on as markers tells one that. This is a ground fault. Honda has many BUS bars but they are total hot garbage. No solder, no adhesive lined shrink. Just crimp and electrical tape. After washing and rain and moisture they corrode. They do a piss poor job in this regard on the harness.

You will have PWR to the switch.

What needs to happen is to chase continuity through the harness on the ground side of the rear brake light switch to the bulb as well. Green with a stripe. I'll post photos of the CBR600 I fixed soon. Big you can work a meter and know how to validate continuity along a wire buried in the loom you will be ok. If not best to see my photos, call me, or take it to a solid mechanic.

Last edited by Mr. Gimmie; 09-17-2015 at 02:30 AM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gimmie View Post
It's not the switches nor bulbs bro. Rear signals on as markers tells one that. This is a ground fault. Honda has many BUS bars but they are total hot garbage. No solder, no adhesive lined shrink. Just crimp and electrical tape. After washing and rain and moisture they corrode. They do a piss poor job in this regard on the harness.

What needs to happen is to chase continuity through the harness on the ground side of the rear brake light switch to the bulb as well. Green with a stripe. I'll post photos of the CBR600 I fixed soon. Big you can work a meter and know how to validate continuity along a wire buried in the loom you will be ok. If not best to see my photos, call me, or take it to a solid mechanic.
I suppose you're probably right about a wiring problem.
I started him out with the simple and obvious tests first before chasing wires.
If the bulbs check out, _ie the brake filaments are intact_
and the switch checks out, then the next logical step is to start checking wires.
I just thought it was a sound idea to eliminate the easy stuff first.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 03:56 PM

The rear turn signals are always on bro. That is the "obvious" test.

Don't listen to me though, I'm only a Mechanical Engineer, a Tank Commander, and a Honda Technician,and spinning wrenches for over 25 years...

Unless they have been modified to stay on vs. cycle on/off per design, then there is a ground fault. Not to be confused with a short.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 10:48 PM

Quote:

OP didn't say the rear blinkers were lit. He said the rear running lights were working. Which is normal if the turn signals are stock. Are you assuming the turn signals are integrated and lit? He didn't state if he has stock rear signals or integrated into the rear brake lamp.
Anyway, I don't see what that has to do with the front (or rear) brake switch.
Or the bulbs.
It's a long shot but both bulbs could have broken brake filaments at the same time. Possible, but not probable.
Assuming both bulbs check out, a quick two minute test will eliminate the switch as a problem.

I did say I thought you were right about wiring, specifically a ground.
It just made sense to me _a random member on a forum_ to chime in with a different approach.
To the same end.

Lets see what pans out...

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 11:42 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
why is mr. gimmie talking about signals? the op is clearly talking about the brake light. the "running lights" he mentions is the natural state of the tail light, the second filaments clearly aren't lighting.

first just check the bulbs, maybe the brake filament is broken in both, though I doubt it.

what I actually suspect is that one of your switches is closed and you aren't seeing your running lights, you're seeing your brake lights.

unplug one of the connectors at the front brake and see if the lights dim, if they don't, check that the rear brake light switch is working properly, it could have malfunctioned. you could just unplug it to see.

if the running lights are working, then there isn't a ground issue, as both the brake light and running light share a common ground.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 11:43 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Quote:
Don't listen to me though, I'm only a Mechanical Engineer, a Tank Commander, and a Honda Technician,and spinning wrenches for over 25 years...

you clearly did very poorly in reading comprehension my friend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode