Starting issue - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Starting issue

Hello everyone,

Got a unique problem. I just purchased an 02 SP2 in pristine condition. It has been in storage for over 5 yrs. so I'm going through each part of the bike checking it over to see what might be wrong with it. I purchased a new battery for it, and I got it to turn over today,but it won't fire up. It definitely sounds like its not getting a spark or no fuel. My next stop is the spark plugs. I have those on order already. I have checked all the fuses and grounding points. Does anyone have any advice on what else I should checkout? I am obviously going to change all the fluids out, brakes and pads. The low fuel light flashes while I am cranking it. Is that normal?

Thanks guys for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 01:17 AM

Dumb question, Haha the engine shut off switch isn't off is it! Does the fuel pump kick on when the ignition is turned on? Thats the first thing I would listen for as far as fuel. If not the switch I'm sure a couple of other faults could stop the fuel pump from coming on. You could probably check spark with a regular automotive spark tester like the kind with a bulb in it.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 01:33 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
If it is in gear and the kick stand is down....no sparky.

Since its been in storage for 5 plus years, drain all of the gas out anyway.

Run some Seafoam through the first tank too, it will help clean the fuel system.

I would pull the tank and pull the air box to make sure no critters are in there either.

GL too.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine

Last edited by madbuyer; 06-10-2012 at 01:37 AM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 06:34 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Along with the good troubleshooting advice already suggested above, did you remember to pull the "fast idle" knob out prior to starting it (often required for a cold start) ?

Only suggesting it because you said you "just purchased" the bike - perhaps not aware of this feature on the RC51 or you didn't get an owner's manual (?).

Disregard if already know about it.

Also, what do the sparkplugs look like? Are they severely fouled or ?

'06 Black/Metallic Gray RC51
-Competition Werkes FE w/
Clear Alternatives IT

'02 Silver/Black CBR 954RR
'11 Graphite Black CBR 1000RR (sold '15)
'08 Pearl Orange CBR 600RR (sold '11)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for all the advice! The kill switch was in run and the bike was in neutral with the kick stand down. I hear the fuel pump sounding like its priming when I turn the key, so that a good thing. I'm really thinking it might be an ignition thing. I have been reading through service manual but its not very clear on how to remove the gas tank. Any pointers there? Do I need to remove the tank to get the plugs out? I lifted it up yesterday and looked at the spark plug wires. The look brand new, no corrosion or any signs of wear. I didn't have the proper tools to pull out the spark plugs, with the tank on. Great advice on checking for critters in the air box thanks!

Does the low fuel light always blink when trying to start?

Thanks guys!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 12:20 AM

^ You may tilt the fuel tank and prop it up in order to remove the rear sparkplug.

It's very doable with a ratchet adapter/extension (the plug simply requires a regular automotive sparkplug socket).

The front plug is pretty easy to access (even more so with the upper cowl/nose fairing removed). IIRC, you only need to remove the front plastic "deflector" / shield that directs air to either radiator to get the front sparkplug out. Two bolts hold that piece of black plastic in place.

Once it's removed, you'll see the sparkplug wire boot resting in place. Tip: Blow some compressed air down in there after pulling the boot to get out any trapped dust/dirt/debris before removing the sparkplug.

If all else fails, consult the Honda RC51 shop service manual; the link for it is floating around somewhere on this message board (PDF document). Simply follow steps in there on how to remove parts from the bike if you are unsure, otherwise just take your time and go slowly.

G'luck !
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 02:01 AM Thread Starter

It ended up being the fuel pump. It was locked up tight. I checked the spark plugs and they both were firing just fine so it lead me to the fuel system. The pump was not priming when the key was turned on, so I tore open the tank to find it full of junk. The bike was stored with about a 1/4 tank of gas in it. So needless to say there was some serious corrosion going on. The rubber inside the tank had melted to the pump. After some serious TLC and lots of elbow grease, I eventually got everything cleaned up and put back together. First try it started right up!

After I let it run for a minute then shut it off, I came back about 30 min later and now it won't start again.

The saga continues....
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 07:17 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by F/A18RC51 View Post
It ended up being the fuel pump. It was locked up tight. I checked the spark plugs and they both were firing just fine so it lead me to the fuel system. The pump was not priming when the key was turned on, so I tore open the tank to find it full of junk. The bike was stored with about a 1/4 tank of gas in it. So needless to say there was some serious corrosion going on. The rubber inside the tank had melted to the pump. After some serious TLC and lots of elbow grease, I eventually got everything cleaned up and put back together. First try it started right up!

After I let it run for a minute then shut it off, I came back about 30 min later and now it won't start again.

The saga continues....
Pictures would have been in order to teach others on why you store a bike properly...you definitely have your work cut out for you.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 01:03 PM

Perhaps the fuel filter is clogged up from all the crud in the tank? Is the pump priming now or is it still not priming from the latest "no-start" condition?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

The pump primes as it should.

I will post pictures here shortly...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode