Cooling problems = Engine-ice??? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Cooling problems = Engine-ice???

Hello I bought my 02 sp2 with only 1 fan! Bike stays 215-220 in traffic. Has gotten up to 230ish. Its only about around 70F-80F here in CT.
Never changed the coolent but did do a complete tune up with oil change. My question is do you guys just flush it all out and put in the Engine-ice as is out the the bottle or mix it with water?
And how much does the SP2's take?

I wanna get the right side fan but the radiator looks like it has no supports on them. So mabey the right side radiator is from SP1???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 05:23 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If the right radiator is from an SP1, there will be a missing mount (top rear), and a hole on the side of the frame where the big wellnut goes, and of course there will not be any mounts for a fan. If you do a quick search on here, you'll see forum member nobody's thread about him missing the rubber wellnut.

Don't worry about the missing OEM fan. They are crap anyways. Some people with SP2's remove them since after about 10mph the fan isn't doing shit but fighting the natural flow of air. Buy a $35 pusher spal fan (do a search on here) and problem solved. A single spal fan was enough for me in traffic and track days in 100+ degree weather. Was it 178 deg the whole time? Fuck no. Did it overheat? Fuck no.

215-220 is normal for traffic, even in moderate climates. It will reach 230, but that is more due to the crappy fan. A search on here will tell you the same. Usually the fan will kick on at 220, and turn off a 205 or something like that. I put a manual switch on mine so I could run the fan whenever I wanted (pretty much any time I wasn't on the freeway if it was over 100 out). Pretty simple to do if you can find the fan relay in the tail.

Engine ice: never ran it. Might do it. Not sure if I'll need it with front mounts. Probably not worth the expense. Do a search on here and the cooling system capacity has probably been posted by subsailor at some point. It is also in the manual. Mix it however the bottle says.

I'm always right.

2011 Bike of the Year
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 06:06 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Engine Ice is good but without that fan, you will always face this issue.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Engine Ice comes pre-mixed 50/50 coolant/deionized water. No other water needed.
It's just as good as other coolants but is non-toxic and biodegradable.
If you have your side cowls off, it's a good time to check around for minor leaks.
Check your hose clamps as they can loosed as the rubber ages.
Be sure and burp the system on the side after replacing the coolant.
Get two half-gallon jugs of coolant as you'll need around 3/4 gallon or so.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I saw 235 on a 90deg day, on city streets, stop and go, and 35-45mph between lights. I immediately installed SPAL pushers on both sides, and haven't seen above 225 since. the fans do run at expected times, but do they're job as advertised. 1ea may be sufficient, but I didn't see the point in saving $35 since I was already there. I'm just running coolant, 60/40 with a splash of water wetter...
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

THANKS GUYS!! Im deffenently going to check out that fan you all are talking about and, I just bought "water wetter" with a gallon of distilled water instead of the pricey "engine-ice". Should I run just both of those instead of coolent? I will only rid in the summer maybe fall months if its not to cold here. OOO and I have NO leaks and all hoses check out good.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

O do you guys know exactly what FAL fan it is? In dimension's and model number?
Thanks.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
The SP1 owners chief complaints were due to the fact they bought a race replica sportbike and then bitched that it got too hot in stop & go traffic so Honda put another fan on the SP2 to keep it cool in those conditions.

The Problem then became in hot ambient temps you now have 2 fans obstructing the air flow when the bike is traveling at speed and it again would run hot even while moving so the owners started removing the extra fan.

Basically the bike was never designed for stop & go traffic period.

No brand, amount, type or change of coolant will ever alter that. The best you can do is make sure the coolant system is full and burped and stop riding in high heat, congested traffic conditions.

For the record I have used everything from Engine Ice to Liquid Performance to Water Wetter with distilled water etc and it all works the same. Oh & those stupid cooling fins you attach to the bodywork don't do shit either...
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 06:09 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH® View Post
Oh & those stupid cooling fins you attach to the bodywork don't do shit either...
But they look cool.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

2001 rc51 upgraded

1999 vtr 1000 "superhawk" sold

2006 650R Ninja sold
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
I wondered about those cooling fins....

I run the engine ice, i think it might be just a little better than straight water, but I think now it's comparable to any good quality antifreeze. It didn't work any better at keeping temps lower than the dex-cool I ran at first. Just make sure your antifreeze has no silicates. But I do like it for the environmental friendly thing.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

Last edited by jondog9; 06-20-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode