clutch master/slave kit - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
clutch master/slave kit

Need to clean the master/slave.what parts should i replace after 13k miles? Thanks
51CKT9 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 08:46 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,636
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Replace all rubber bits, may even come as kits.

Do it right the first time.



nobody is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 05:34 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
MakisRC51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Korinthos, Greece
Posts: 3,239
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Mine has 45.000km and no need to replace the rubbers in there yet.
I do replace the fluids every 3 months though.....very easy procedure not to!


My Íhlins Project: https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6033
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
Congratulation to MakisRC51 for winning the 2014 Bike Of The Year Contest!
MakisRC51 is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 07:04 PM
Senior Member
 
jondog9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 8,653
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
I have a lot of respect for Makis, he definately knows his way around these bikes. But I think you need to take into account the history of the bike. What kind of service has the clutch had so far? If you're uncertain, then disassemble and inspect closely.
I didn't know the history of the first 15,000 miles of my bike, and come to find out, I needed all new rubber, cause of a couple years of water contamination in the fluid, it had turned into a gooey peanut butter in the bottom of the slave cylinder. You cant flush that out, cause it sits on the bottom and the bleeder is at the top.
I suggest the following, (having just done it last summer) a master kit, which will include some cups, a seal for the push piston, and a new main piston. It's part #3 in this diagram. For the slave you should only need parts 13,9 & 6 from this diagram.

Inspect the collapsable diaphram in the master cylinder's resevior, I needed to replace that in my bike. I couldn't even tell untill I held it next to the new one, and saw a dramatic difference.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

jondog9 is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 07:12 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
MakisRC51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Korinthos, Greece
Posts: 3,239
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
I have a lot of respect for Makis, he definately knows his way around these bikes. But I think you need to take into account the history of the bike. What kind of service has the clutch had so far? If you're uncertain, then disassemble and inspect closely.
I didn't know the history of the first 15,000 miles of my bike, and come to find out, I needed all new rubber, cause of a couple years of water contamination in the fluid, it had turned into a gooey peanut butter in the bottom of the slave cylinder. You cant flush that out, cause it sits on the bottom and the bleeder is at the top.
I suggest the following, (having just done it last summer) a master kit, which will include some cups, a seal for the push piston, and a new main piston. It's part #3 in this diagram. For the slave you should only need parts 13,9 & 6 from this diagram.

Inspect the collapsable diaphram in the master cylinder's resevior, I needed to replace that in my bike. I couldn't even tell untill I held it next to the new one, and saw a dramatic difference.
Totally agree with you jondog on that.
The history of the bike is what's most important.
I just stated above that the rubbers don't wear out so easy.
However, if I din't know the history of my bike or if I have found out that it was poorly maintained from the previous owner, I wouldn't think twice on renewing the rubbers and fluids in crucial parts like the clutch, calipers, master cylinders, TB boots etc....

I am sorry if I wasn't so clear about it before.....didn't mean to mislead you.


My Íhlins Project: https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6033
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
Congratulation to MakisRC51 for winning the 2014 Bike Of The Year Contest!
MakisRC51 is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 05:38 AM
Lifetime Premium
 
madbuyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 8,335
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
I have a lot of respect for Makis, he definately knows his way around these bikes. But I think you need to take into account the history of the bike. What kind of service has the clutch had so far? If you're uncertain, then disassemble and inspect closely.
I didn't know the history of the first 15,000 miles of my bike, and come to find out, I needed all new rubber, cause of a couple years of water contamination in the fluid, it had turned into a gooey peanut butter in the bottom of the slave cylinder. You cant flush that out, cause it sits on the bottom and the bleeder is at the top.
I suggest the following, (having just done it last summer) a master kit, which will include some cups, a seal for the push piston, and a new main piston. It's part #3 in this diagram. For the slave you should only need parts 13,9 & 6 from this diagram.

Inspect the collapsable diaphram in the master cylinder's resevior, I needed to replace that in my bike. I couldn't even tell untill I held it next to the new one, and saw a dramatic difference.
There is an old joke in there somewhere???

Good advice from jd and Makis....ask jd about the blue brake fluid next



The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
madbuyer is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 03:33 PM
Senior Member
 
jondog9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 8,653
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbuyer View Post
There is an old joke in there somewhere???

Good advice from jd and Makis....ask jd about the blue brake fluid next
You had to go bring that up!

Yes, I did use the WRONG clutch fluid because I was lazy and just asked the clerk at the store, and didn't check if he was right.
Lesson: consult the manual whenever possible when doing something new on a new to me bike!

Use only DOT 4 brake fluid for the hydralic clutch in our RC51's.
DO NOT use DOT 5. It's silicone, has no water absorbsion, and therefore no wet boiling point. If you feel you have to go one better than DOT4, I believe DOT 5.1 is suitable, but I'm not sure.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

jondog9 is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 04:06 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
madbuyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 8,335
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
You had to go bring that up!

Yes, I did use the WRONG clutch fluid because I was lazy and just asked the clerk at the store, and didn't check if he was right.
Lesson: consult the manual whenever possible when doing something new on a new to me bike!

Use only DOT 4 brake fluid for the hydralic clutch in our RC51's.
DO NOT use DOT 5. It's silicone, has no water absorbsion, and therefore no wet boiling point. If you feel you have to go one better than DOT4, I believe DOT 5.1 is suitable, but I'm not sure.
But it was cool looking in your resevoir, right?



The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
madbuyer is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 06:21 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
MakisRC51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Korinthos, Greece
Posts: 3,239
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
.......... I believe DOT 5.1 is suitable, but I'm not sure.
It definitely is


My Íhlins Project: https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6033
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
Congratulation to MakisRC51 for winning the 2014 Bike Of The Year Contest!
MakisRC51 is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jondog9 the clutch slave web link was not there, i google search and i cant find the part number. Is it in the clutch group? Thanks.
51CKT9 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome