Bodywork Options - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bodywork Options

Evening guys. This is more about trying to get some opinions rather than actually needing help with something, but I'm looking for guidance on some bodywork issues. As of right now my 02 has a rashed right side fairing, an upper cowl with a very thin crack near the right headlight and a broken tab on the front fender right where the bolt is on the right side. I want to try and return the bike to mint, so I had a couple of options and I'm trying to get a feel for which is the most popular / efficient, or if there's another option out there I hadn't thought of. Unfortunately, due to current circumstances, there's no way I would be able to buy equipment to paint myself, so that's out of the running.

1. I've been looking at some of the cheap chinese fairings. I actually had a set on a previous bike (929) and, barring some issues with tabs breaking away (easily repairable), they really didn't look half bad. However if I went that route I would need to repaint the tank to match, it would be a single color.

2. Another option would be to find a cheap used right fairing and front fender without cracks, have the upper cowl repaired, and have everything painted together. It seems like this would be the more expensive option, but at least I could be sure that the fairings are good OEM quality ones.

3. I guess the last option is to purchase new or like new OEM fairings of the damaged pieces and just be content with the color scheme I have. Honestly I'm not entirely opposed to that, but I really want to try and make this bike my own.

Also if anyone has some good ideas to toy with for a paint scheme that includes red, I'm all for hearing it! Even if it is way out of my price range.

Looking forward to opinions and ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Also, on the subject of OEM parts...where is the recommended place to shop OEM?

Thanks again!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 11:18 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
OEM parts

www.indysuperbikes.com

http://www.hondaeasttoledo.com/

OEM fairings are the way to go for the RC....I have seen several melted panels on this bike before.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 07:24 AM
Lifetime Premium

hi mate we repair and paint a panel of $200 or respay the hole bike for $900 cheers buddha PS do you guys have bike paint shops there ???
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 12:36 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
I was in a similar position this last spring with rash, cracks, dent in the tank, you name it.

I went to the auto body shop here in town told them what I was looking for and they said they could do it. It was cheaper to a good used left fairing from Ben (rc51parts.com) then to have them fix the one I had. The shop that I went to is tryn to get there name out in the custom paint business and I was able to get them to paint the bike "off the books" but as an advertising expense. From what I figue I paid the guys wage for the hours he work on it and cost of materials.

Ok long story short... talk to Ben if you're looking for good OEM parts or see if you can work a deal with a shop you can trust.

James

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Motorcycle.com App
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 02:01 PM

Well here is my 2 cents.... You can get a catalyst tail section which is fiberglass for under 200, there were fiberglass OEM replacement lowers for 60 a side on ebay not sure if they are still selling, and i had Brent from AU make me a custom upper fairing dual endurance headlight style. All in all I have about 650 into my body work and its sleeker than stock, just needs a paint job. I decided that im going to go with a wrap vice paint as its cheaper, easier, looks better, and if it gets damaged they can print new pannels!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 02:17 PM

I went the chinese route and im actually pretty happy. No tabs broke. No melted panels and it is pretty fing hot around here. I used hvac heat reflective tape on the inside of all panels before install and wrapped my headers. So far, so goodClick image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1342466202667.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	3213

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

2000 RC51
1985 ATC 350X
2009 Silverado SS clone
Lots and lots of guns!lol
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to 2004RC51
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHops View Post
Also, on the subject of OEM parts...where is the recommended place to shop OEM?

Thanks again!
Here is a site that has oem parts and is the cheapest out there:

http://www.partspitstop.com/

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

2004 Nicky Hayden RC51 SP2
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 10:22 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Please do a search and you will find that this topic comes up quite often. You'll also see plenty of my repsonses.

To sum them up:
From personal experience: The chinese eBay stuff is complete and utter shit. Don't waste your money and time.
Don't send your money to the other side of the world when I am sure that the local paint guy would love to have it. Would you like to put food on your neighbor's table? Or fill the pockets of some dude you'll never see?
Buy OEM, even scratched OEM, have it fixed and repainted whatever color you like and do any of the work yourself if possible. That will reduce costs.
On top of that, if you don't like the results of the paint guy, you can take it back right away. If you don't like the chinese garbage, you might get lucky and they will let you send it back. Which you will pay for, along with the original $200+ shipping fee.

I'm always right.

2011 Bike of the Year
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 11:24 AM

B.miller why dont you explain how you were burned on the ebay/chinese bodywork? You are very enthusiastic when it comes to knocking them yet i have never read what problems you had. The spend your money here in the states is a double edged sword. Blue collar people like myself could never afford the rates my local body shops charge to begin with much less what the dealerships charge. How many parts on your bike were made in the USA? Both me and my wifes cars are chevy. All my tools are made here. But when it comes to my bike, the entire bike is from over seas. Not to start a war but if you are going to rag on something have an explanation to back it up. By the way, 4k miles and my chinese bodywork is still perfect as is buddys 675s

2000 RC51
1985 ATC 350X
2009 Silverado SS clone
Lots and lots of guns!lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode