Difference b/w Euro and US Spec SP-2? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Difference b/w Euro and US Spec SP-2?

Does anyone know what the difference's are between the European and US spec. SP-2's, especially in regards to ECU and fueling? On the Dynojet website, looking at fuel maps for the SP-2, they differentiate between the Euro and non-euro maps. Do the euro models have extra emission programming or equipment, or vice versa? What I'm getting at is: would it hurt to try a euro map in my us spec. bike?

05 RC51

08 CBR 1000 (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 01:24 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
As far as I know, UK and Germany have specific laws against HP output so I guess those are the limited version.
Anyway in Greece and France at least, they imported the open version.
Of course I may be misinformed so I'll like to view other member's opinions

I bought my RC SP1 European version, official Greek import and I installed TBs, airbox and ECU from the SP2 USA version. No problems and no differences (that big I mean) at all, whatsoever.
Only difference was the throttle response due to the larger TBs. Otherwise I would notice a, lets say, 10-20HP output difference

My Íhlins Project: https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6033
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
Congratulation to MakisRC51 for winning the 2014 Bike Of The Year Contest!

Last edited by MakisRC51; 07-23-2012 at 01:28 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
The U.S. and Canada models had soft rev limiters set for 9200 RPM in addition to the hard rev limit of 10,200 RPM.
The Euro models didn't have the soft rev limit, only the hard limit (or so I was told).

The U.S. California models had a fuel vapor recovery system that the others did not.

The models in Australia don't have the PAIR system.
I've seen photos of the valve covers showing the areas whee they might be, had they machined the openings.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 05:56 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi sub what's the PAIR system ? Thanks , cheers Buddha
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha View Post
Hi sub what's the PAIR system ? Thanks , cheers Buddha
Pulsed air-injection system to reduce emissions.
Look at the top of your valve covers and you'll see where it might me if it was finished.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Pulsed air-injection system to reduce emissions.
Look at the top of your valve covers and you'll see where it might me if it was finished.
Does'nt the PAIR only come in on the overrun to burn unburnt fuel when you're shutoff?
I've just disconnected the pipes & plugged them with marbles so I can put it back whenever the emissions test is enforced over here.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 12:17 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc0 View Post
Does'nt the PAIR only come in on the overrun to burn unburnt fuel when you're shutoff?
I've just disconnected the pipes & plugged them with marbles so I can put it back whenever the emissions test is enforced over here.
Like dear Sub said...pumping air in the header pipes all it does it to force extra oxygen to interact with combustion's carbon monoxide emissions (CO) which are poisonous and make as much as possible to become carbon dioxide (CO2) which are neutral for the environment

My Íhlins Project: https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6033
Quote:
Congratulation to MakisRC51 for winning the 2014 Bike Of The Year Contest!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakisRC51 View Post
Like dear Sub said...pumping air in the header pipes all it does it to force extra oxygen to interact with combustion's carbon monoxide emissions (CO) which are poisonous and make as much as possible to become carbon dioxide (CO2) which are neutral for the environment
This is why I haven't unhooked my PAIR.
I know everybody does, but I just don't need to.
But to be fair, I'm biased. My son has had chronic asthma all his life, and I live in CA. Probably one of the highest exhaust emmisions producing states in US.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 03:44 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
It was my understanding for the different maps (US ver EU) is the fuel used. The EU fuel will allow more ignition advancing than US. I bet Roger would know.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 04:06 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Mine's a European version full power model that was supposedly re-imported into Japan (Chances are it never actually left, it's a loophole the crafty Japanese use to have full power bikes).

I don't have a 9,200 rpm rev limit, somewhere around 10K there is one, so that would seem about right. I checked and I do have rubber tubes connected to te PAIR covers, but I haven't felt the need to do any modification there.

Aside from the European bodywork and headlights that point in the correct direction the other obvious differences are that lights can all be switched off in the daytime and there are no reflectors on the sides of the bike.
RVT was only used as a name for North America, unless I'm mistaken - but really the differences aren't all that many.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode