Having Some Riding Issues, Feels Like I Am Running Over Something - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Having Some Riding Issues, Feels Like I Am Running Over Something

I am having a weird issue in the front. I had a similar problem awhile back. It is basically feeling "bumpy" in the suspension up front. Almost like when I had a chopped tire awhile back. I replaced it about a month ago with a michellin power pure and it fixed it then. This just started a day or two ago. Basically when I ride, no matter how smooth the surface, every few seconds it will act like I am hitting a small bump. Nothing really major but I can definitely feel it, and its starting to get a bit annoying. I am wondering if maybe it has something to do with the front forks, I noticed a small bit of oil coming from the bottom of the left front fork, and it seems when I lean into a corner the bumps get a little bit more noticeable. I am thinking maybe the oil is leaking out and causing the suspension to get a little weaker on one side, or if there is any kind of alignment adjustment on the front? I am not sure about that but I suppose it could cause it. It is not like a balance issue, and I still have all the weights on from when it was balanced about a month ago so I highly doubt that is it. Any ideas? Maybe front bearing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 06:48 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
http://www.carlsalter.com/download.asp?p=932

Here is a manual. Start with the steering head bearing by checking them.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
How long has the shock leaked, and how much is coming out?
Each leg holds almost 1/2 quart of fork oil. So if enough has leaked out, you'd have a problem.
Have you done all your suspension settings for your weight?

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 02:23 AM Thread Starter

Steering head bearing is still good, and thanks, I have the manual already. I bought it before I bought the bike so I could familiarize myself with any issues that might arise. I have dealt with a few engine and electrical issues but this is the first suspension/ride-ability issue I have dealt with.

And the shock just started leaking, if was a car it would be the drivers side. Not much has come out, just enough to wet around the adjuster and towards the inside of the brake rotor on that side. It is not a big leak, I just noticed some wetness. I would say less than a 32nd of a quart at best. And I have swapped out the springs to match my weight and I adjust the damper and rebound settings up front and on the rear. I usually run 4 and 4 up front for damper and rebound, and 5 damper and 3 rebound on the rear for street riding. I am not really sure what I ran for the track, I have them written down but I rarely use it on the track these days. Mostly work back and forth and some pleasure riding after work some days. And when I take my wife with me I normally double those numbers for the settings. I have not adjusted any ride height from stock, I have a new michellin power pure 120/70 up front and a 190/50 I believe rear, but the rear is a dunlop sportmax gpa (medium). But I am going to put a new michellin power pure on later this week to match the front. I am not sure if I will change the size yet or not. I hear that a lot of people lower to a 180 or 185. But regardless the problem is still there. I was thinking of changing the front fork seals, but I have never done them before and I am not sure if I have enough knowledge to do them. I have been a auto mechanic for 15 years so I figure I probably do. But I was just wondering if there was any other ways to check on things, maybe is there a way to check the fork oil level? I was wondering if I could unbolt the top of the shocks and check, or would that break a seal up top?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Important note: The fork disassembly section in the RC51 service manual is oriented towards the SP1 fork and not the SP2 fork.
The preload adjusters are different between the SP1 and SP2 forks and are disassembled differently.
The tip of the rebound adjuster rod can be damaged if not done properly.

Refer to the 954 or 2004 CBR1000RR service manual sections on removing the fork caps.
The 954 and 2004 CBR1000RR use the same design fork cap/preload adjuster design as the RC51.
Beyond that portion, refer back to the RC51 fork section.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info sailor. Im glad you told me that because I was about to start in this weekend. I would have been a little either confused/upset if I got it half apart and broke something.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I had a simiar issue on my F3, the front was sometimes bumpy on flat roads and sometimes would give a noticeable click or tremble when i would first start to brake or accelerate. I swore it was something in the shocks or maybe they had no fluid in them. Finally jacked up the front tire and gave it a spin.The front wheel bearings sounded like they had rocks in them. They were so bad that some of the bearings had come out and the others had flat spots in them which was causing the rough bumpy sensation. not saying thats your issue but its a cheap and easy place to start. Good Luck

Colt
00 RC51 #1119
97 CBR F3
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Actually I was thinking that could be the problem. I have replaced many over the years in cars, the fact that it has a pattern to the rough ride leads me to believe that might be the problem. I am going to the shop today to grab a new tire. I don't have a paddock stand for the front here at home, and the front tire has a faulty valve stem so when I have them replace it I'll get them to check that. By the way does anyone have a round about estimate on how much it would be to have a shop replace the fork seals? I am going to ask when I am there today, if it is less than the cost of the tools I will probably just let them do it. Unless its just a rip off, then I'll just bite the bullet and do it myself. Thanks clutchless for the response, I'm glad someone else had that problem. I hadn't read anything online about them failing so I figured it was probably rare. But now I will definitely be checking it! By the way did you replace them yourself or have it done at a shop? I am just wondering if I am going to need a press/puller to replace them. I have one I just have to drive 30 mins to my shop. Id much rather do them at the house if possible. But I don't want to get it apart, then realize I should have done it there to begin with. Thanks again!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I actually did try replacing them myself. I attempted to take them out with a Punch and Hammer. Trying to be very delicate and not damage anything. but after about 2 mins, I realized this could go horribly wrong fast. I took them in to a dealer and they did it. But they used the exact same method I was using. I don't know if that was the right way or not but hey got them out and pressed the new ones in. Holy cow what difference! I have done fork seals myself. Between the service manual and youtube it was a pretty easy job. Hardest part was separating 14 year old forks for the first time. Good Luck

Colt
00 RC51 #1119
97 CBR F3
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Well ends up that wasn't the problem. I took the wheel off at the shop today, and just set it up on the axle. It spins freely with no problem. It actually looks like whoever had the bike before me had replaced the bearings at some point with ceramic's. I pulled up the part numbers online and apparently its an upgrade from stock. They look pretty nice, I just oiled them and put it all back together. So back to square one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode