Has Anyone Ever Used One Of These? Worth It? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cool Has Anyone Ever Used One Of These? Worth It?

I was at the shop today getting a new tire, and I have had a small leak from my left fork seal. I asked how much it would be to have them replaced. He offered a different option which if it works, sounds a lot better than replacing them. He told me about using a tool he had to basically clean the dirt and what have you out of the seals and return them to their original form essentially repairing them. His price was incredibly outrageous for the service in my opinion. I could buy all the tools and replace the seals myself and still have money left over. He was charging around 250 to clean the seals on both forks. I found this tool on ebay anywhere from 5.99 to 20.00. I was just wondering if anyone has used these with any sucess. He is usually pretty knowledgeable about bikes, even though prices are high, I trust his judgement. I just wondered what you guys thought. Honestly for 20 bucks and not having to pull the forks apart and replace the seals, it seems worth it to me. Just let me know what you guys think! And if these particular ones are crap, please point me in the direction of a decent one. Honestly though they all seem pretty basic and similar in design. I'll post the two I was looking at.

In the title this one says for dirt bikes, but if you read in the description, it says for all types.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motion-Pro-S...c0df60&vxp=mtr

And this is a different design, but still along the same lines as the other. Honestly I could probably make something that would serve the same purpose.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-m...item27bbe9bcd4

Video For The Sealtech Product
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=hIywUfwrHDo

This is the one I am really leaning towards, it looks to be the more advanced tool.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-20...117f28&vxp=mtr

And lastly this is similar to the one I was thinking of getting, and it has a little video to describe the process of use.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Risk-Racing-...item3f1a479f97

And here is the video for it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3Re9...ayer_embedded#!

Thanks In Advance For Your Help!

And I am pretty sure my seals have this problem. I have done visual inspections on them, and they seem to be in decent shape from what I can see, and the fork tubes are in perfect condition. I know that the previous owner had the seals (or so he said when I purchased the bike) at 13k miles, and the bike now has around 16.5k. So I am pretty sure that they are still in good shape!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 01:40 PM

About how many miles on the seals? just had mine replaced a couple of months ago for $250 making your price for cleaning sound really steep, they usually last anywhere from 15000-35000 in my experience depending on how you ride.

04 Nicky
Jardine slip ons
520 conv. 15/40 RK quick accel kit
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

yeah thats why I say, the seals have maybe 4k-5k miles on em. They have had about 5 or 6 track days. But besides that been mostly street riding. And I doubt I get them done at the shop, I will be purchasing one of the tools and doing it myself. There is no way I will pay 250 to have them cleaned when I can pay the dealership 400 to replace them lol.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 12:26 AM

Replace your fork seals, nothing this tool does can breath new life into old tired leaking seals. This type of product can be used to help maintain you seal life, but not rehab the leaking due to age and other reasons requiring the replacement of the seals. The service is more than seal change, it's fluid gunk change out and checking and servicing all the fork internals. Your best money will be to keep dirt out by using Seal Savers that keep exposed fork sliders cleaner when they get near the seal. Use these on my VFR after going through 3 seal sets from getting sandblasted, riding behind others.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

Well thats what I am saying, the seals were replaced 3k miles ago. And a lot of seals can start leaking due to dirt and debris getting in them. And I have a set of those for mine I just haven't put them on yet. But I think I am going to try to clean them first, for under 20 dollars, if it doesn't work I am not out that much. But I can't really see the seals going bad after 3k miles, and its not like the bike has sat over that period of time either. I ride almost everyday. The longest it sat was 4-5 days just because we had a long period of rain.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 07:03 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Ron Popeil must love you...

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

lol well I grabbed one from cycle gear for 4.99 today. Cleaned them out, changed the fork oil. And took it for a ride. Its going on 3 hours now and not a single drop! I would say it was worth the 5 bucks for the cleaning tool and 10 bucks for fluid!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 07:12 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003rc51 View Post
lol well I grabbed one from cycle gear for 4.99 today. Cleaned them out, changed the fork oil. And took it for a ride. Its going on 3 hours now and not a single drop! I would say it was worth the 5 bucks for the cleaning tool and 10 bucks for fluid!
As long as you are happy. Just be careful, losing a fork seal sucks when you are riding! I have had it happen in the dirt and it sucked real bad. On the street, I would shyte my trousers for sure.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

lol well mine were only about 3k old. I was pretty sure they were ok! It was like a drop out them a day if that. When I checked the level it was like 2 tablespoons low lol
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 12:50 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Garage
I lost a fork seal on my rc just after I bought it, it had been sitting for few years, about 2 weeks after I got it, started riding it left side started to leak over the period of 3 days, was not bad at first but got worse and worse over the 5 hrs I was out 1 day, then it went.....coated the front tire in oil and the front brakes, luckily I was only doing about 90kmh on highway and I pulled over and parked it, jumped on the back of my buds R1 with him and went to get the truck. I was not about to chance it

-2001 Honda RC51 sp1 " Slightly Modified "
-2001 Honda 929RR Erion Edition
DuckHunterComposites
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode