Problems starting and running - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Problems starting and running

Hey Guys, I'm at wits end with my bike.

2003 RC with PCIII and Sato Pipes. Never had any problems, had bike since
08 and put 11k miles on it since. Friday I was riding it here in VA, temp around 90, bike temp 215-220, normal. Washed it at the car wash, dried it, topped it off with 93 octane at Martin's. Drove it about 6 miles, I shut it off to use the phone and then the problems started. I tried to restart it but had to feather the throttle just to get it to turn over, never had to do this. Then I had to keep it revved up above 2000 rpm to limp it to my wifes shop about 1 1/2 miles away. I changed the plugs in it today thinking it may be that, no help. I also disconnected the PC, still no help. After the plug change it started fine with no issues, it was when I turned it off and tried to start it back up that I had issues. I also noticed that I let it run about 3-5 minutes and the temp gauge never changed, it usually gets to 97 in about 3 minutes. The only other odd thing is, Thursday when I started it up, the tripometer was at 0, I only do this when I top off and I know that I had about 30 miles on it when I parked it. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 12:31 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
If your trip meter resets it is probably a battery gone bad. Or you have loosen terminals on it.
Check with a voltmeter the charging on the battery's terminals to be 13.5-14.5V at 4000rpm and with your high beam on shouldn't go more than 0.5V below of what you see with them off.
A battery in good operable condition should show 12.8-13.0V even 24 hours after you took it off the charger. If you see less than 12.5V it is time for a new one.

My Íhlins Project: https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6033
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
Congratulation to MakisRC51 for winning the 2014 Bike Of The Year Contest!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 06:55 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
OH, I remember one kinda like this. Another Car wash victim.

RC Won't Start ?

2 weeks ago, I took my bike out for a ride and along the way I stopped to have it washed by some high school kids raising money for band or something. Wash went fine, but on the way home my horn started blaring and would not stop I pressed the button repeatedly and found if I held the button in it would stop.

Once I got home I shut the bike off and turned it on a few times and the horn still blared. next morning I turned it on...no horn blowing, so I just figured a bit of water had gotten someplace it shouldn't have and completed a circuit.

A day ago, I went out to ride and now she will not start at all I turn on the power, dash comes up, lights both front and rear are lit....but when I press the starter NOTHING !

I borrowed a charger from my local shop, ran it all night on 2amp but same result. The battery is a Shorai that I got back in May, so I am 99% sure it is not a battery issue but I am 0% sure on what it could be

Ok guys, I put the new battery in and nothing. I turn the key...no dash...no lights...no FI powering up ....no nothing ?? Any thoughts on what it could be ? I replaced all of the fuses with new ones while I was waiting on a new battery to come in. Is there a main fuse someplace that I could have missed ? I know on Harley's they have a small fuse box for the electrics, but a main 30amp under the seat.

The bitch is back !!!! Turns out I missed a 3rd "master" fuse further back. I got the ones in the fuse box as well as the 30amp right off the battery...either way she has arisen. Now to remap the PCIII and get her to the dyno shop

Colt
00 RC51 #1119
97 CBR F3

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
As you found, here are two 30A fuses, one that is the main electrical fuse, and the other for the ECU.
This is addition to the lesser amp fuses in the fuse box.
The main 30A fuse in located in the starter relay, and most people assume the 30A ECU fuse is the main fuse.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

I understand a bad battery of faulty fuse could be the culprit for the reset tripometer and thermostat not showing temp, but what is causing it to not want to start after running? Fuel Pressure Regulator?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Today I checked all fuses and disconnected the PCIII. Bike starts and idles fine, temp gauge still won't read, just sayd ---F. Also the FI light is flashing about every 2-3 seconds. Any ideas?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
First off, download the service manual at this link.
http://www.carlsalter.com/download.asp?p=932
Then read the steps to read the service fault codes.

You can do one of two things.
1) You could see what your prior fault codes were (which if old, could be misleading), or
2) You can clear the prior fault codes so only the most recent valid codes will be shown.

Depending on the reported code, these may aide you in your troubleshooting direction.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

The beast is back!!! New plugs, flushed radiator and some connector cleaner in all connectors and reset the FI light and all is well! Thanks for everyone's help, greatly appreciated.
Chris

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode