Sp2 buying tips - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sp2 buying tips

Hi im after some advice on what to look out for when buying a sp2. I don't really know much about them so any help would be great.

I've seen one local i'm going to view tomorrow. I'm in the UK so i'd rather be buying a uk model.

The one i'm looking at has a black swingarm, is this because its a 02 model? I've seen other 02 models and they have the silver swingarm.
The bike has 22000 miles on the clock.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 05:42 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Welcome Steve, I was from the UK too. Have some great riding memories from there & Europe.

I have an '02 European SP2 model in white (You can search my ID for pics) and it's got a silver swing arm, so that would be my first concern. I'd check the usual things, like repairs to the body, signs of crash damage, incl. rear sets, etc. Try to look on the inside of panels, especially the upper front & rear cowl. Take a good torch with new batteries. Removing side panels isn't all that difficult. You should require just a stubby Phillips screwdriver.

Mine's been mostly reliable, so I don't have much experience of what to look for that could go wrong, but I do hear of electrical problems on this forum often - caused by bad wiring. Someone had extended the wiring for the CDI unit on mine using crimp on connectors and it kept blowing CDI's every 3,000 miles or so. Soldiering & heat shrinking fixed that in the end.
Check for rattles and blue smoke, especially on startup, but don't be confused by rattles from the clutch.
With the UK you need to be careful of corrosion due to all the crud on the roads & wet weather. Check especially behind the front wheel on the down pipe & oil cooler lines and also on the underside, near the swing-arm linkage.
Taking each side panel off helps to be able to see more.

Ask for history and a receipt for valve clearance check. Seehow often the oil's been changed and what type if possible. A bike accompanied by lots of receipts is usually much better than none.

Aim for an unmolested one, or an example that's clearly been loved always. It'll look after you better. If you get a good one, the SP2 is a great bike that can be made better.
There are still some good performance parts for this bike if it needs it. Some from the UK (Harris & Maxton for example) and Europe, others from the States & Japan too. They're plenty quick enough, can take long trips in their stride & handle very well. I'm still really enjoying it after 7 years.

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Stig, That all sounds like good info. I'll be having a very good look all over the bike inside and out.
Its the black swingarm thats bothering me. Is there anywhere on the net that has pictures and info of each year of rc51 that came out?
Any pictures i've seen of them with the black swingarm they have a black frame too.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 05:37 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
I've owned mine for about 7 years, never seen a clear anodised frame with a black swing arm, on either a "Honda VTR SP2" or "Honda RVT 1000". Simple way to check is on www.google.co.uk. Put in the text in speech marks above and click images on the top LHS.
You'll see lots of pictures, but none of standard spec. with said black swing arm and clear anodised frame. For some reason it's been changed during that bike's life & the only reason I could guess is from a prior accident - at that likely a fairly large one. Hence the reason I suggested to check for other clues of crash repairs. Personally, I'd steer away from this one... !

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 09:51 PM

RIDE UK has the best SP-1/SP-2 buy guide I've seen.
Areas to check per RIDE UK:
Check clock function buttons.
Gas tank leaks at rear hinge.
Front caliper studder and warped discs.
2nd gear pick up at 30mph. Starter valve sychro needed, if not smooth.
Water hose clamps on radiators come loose easily.
Avoid Carbon cans, don't survive long on SP-2's.
Fork seal leaks are somewhat common and can develop after only 1500 miles after new installation.
Otherwise they are rated as the best build quality and second best as most reliable bike made according to the last three years owners surveys.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 07:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Lightbulb

OP - Sounds like you got a good start on your info request.

Here's a link I had bookmarked from the Super Streetbike website awhile back when I started my search for general info about the bike (it's not UK specific, per se, but provides some "magazine based" info if you're after that kind of angle as well).

Think I found it via a Google search. As always there's Wiki, the Rogue website, Speedzilla message board, and others online - g'luck !

http://www.superstreetbike.com/featu...1/viewall.html

'06 Black/Metallic Gray RC51
-Competition Werkes FE w/
Clear Alternatives IT

'02 Silver/Black CBR 954RR
'11 Graphite Black CBR 1000RR (sold '15)
'08 Pearl Orange CBR 600RR (sold '11)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode