Another happy, winter track build / rebirth...back from the dead! - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Another happy, winter track build / rebirth...back from the dead!

Its been quite some time since I picked up my'03 SP2 salvage project. Long story short: I bought a "roughed-up" SP2 that I thought would just need a bit of freshening and cosmetics, but upon initial teardown, I realized that the PO and his methods of motorcycle repair and maintenance were just PISS-POOR. This really disturbed me, and there was no faith to be had in his craftsmanship of terrible quality of repair. It was time for a full dissasembley, so I know that I was the last one to touch any/all of the nuts and bolts and that procudure was followed correctly. I would never be able to have faith in this machine without giving her the full up and down.

So here we go: With winters arrival, I cleared a spot in the garage and cracked her open.

Here's a few pics to give yall an idea the type of shotty BS workmanship that the PO gave this pore baby. I wanted to give him Hell, but I just bit my tongue and rolled my eyes frequently throughout the sale.

1) '03 SP2...not too bad from that angle...Hey, Sato Bonzais? Stoked!

2) PO stated that the fairings took a impact from a loose dog that took a 70mph hit... no visual frame damage, forks looked alright. Mostly just damaged plastics and hangers. all the damage was giving me cold feet at first, but the fact that the headlights were still intact and that it had the Satos that were in decent condition made me lean towards buying her. Good track-build platform. Plus there is enough street trim there to consider making it a street machine years down the road.

3) I felt like I was adopting a refugee. Who does this sh!t??? "Hmm...my brakes are screwed...Ah to hell with it...Where's the epoxy?!?" The worst part: The dumbdumb drove the bike in the rain to meet with me for the sale...he considered it "fixed."

4) WTF? #2 Where's the chain slider??? Chain was band-sawing through the swingarm and doing a perty good job at gnawing through...see the metalic dust?

5) WTF? #3 160 wide tire mounted on the OEM 6.0 wide rim for increased traction loss and a sure near-death expierence. She didn't like to turn too much.

6) I was in for a winter project...Always wanted an RC for track use...time to tear her down and learn the ways of the RC51!

7) Off with the swingarm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

8) Making a mess...off with the forks...doin' work!

9) Time for a warm, soothing sponge bath.

10) New rear fender installed, wiring tidied-up, wrapping up loose ends.

11) Then after much debate, I decided to pull the throttle bodies for more scrubbing. I forgot to take an "after" pic...turned out great. I almost dropped the engine just to clean it, but I figured no point until I have to crack the cases.

12) Time for fork service: New seals & 7w oil.

13) Suspension: Ready for installation. Thanks to Ben at rc51parts for making a reasonable copy to the Moriwaki link. ...still saving for a REAL shock. Furthermore, it turned out that the dog did do some real damage. I ended up having to replace the lower triple and stem...she was tweaked just a bit.

14) Getting close...

15) Alas, she's grounded! I would have installed the exhaust and fired her up for a shakedown run, but of all things, I was missing the manifold gaskets. Oh well...gotta wait till Friday to hear the symphony.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 12:30 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Looks like a fun project. That lower triple looks more than a "little" tweaked. I'm guessing you checked the forks with a runout gauge or something?

I'm always right.

2011 Bike of the Year

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 09:30 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
RULE #1....you cannot post up pictures of your projects with the bike in the background covered up.....

Who the fuck did you buy this from?? Was his name Jerry Riggs?? Holy shit, I hope like hell you got your tetanus shots before you worked on this thing.

I am happy she found a new home to put things back in order.

Make her look and feel nice and report back soon.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.miller123 View Post
Looks like a fun project. That lower triple looks more than a "little" tweaked. I'm guessing you checked the forks with a runout gauge or something?
Suprisingly, the forks were fine...clean runout, no stiction, nice and smooth. The triple tree wasn't that far off either. In the pic, I had already removed the upper and just had it finger tight crooked...looks funny.
When the forks slid up through the lower triple and into the the upper plate, it was lined up, but when it was time to bolt the upper to the stem, it was off by about 1/2 - 3/4 inch. Lower tree was bent in ever so slightly. I bought replacement forks anyway...holding on to the others as spares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbuyer View Post
RULE #1....you cannot post up pictures of your projects with the bike in the background covered up.....:
HA! Yeah...I thought I already had that covered with my member intro. Yeah I suppose it would be borderline rude to tease the forum and not reveal the beast (or mini-beast) from under the cover. She's my baby. 350cc's of solid 2smoke fun! Speeding tickets aren't as high of a risk, and it still feels like she's hauling the mail when I rip on her.. I do love the funny looks that I get when at a stoplight, gargling and burping out small puffs of light blue. Some are in the know...most probably think I'm riding some little toy piece that's on its last leg...then the light turns green, and they are never to be seen again.

'85 RZ350
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Really?!? more half-ass BS

Exhaust gaskets came in on Friday, and over the weekend, I prepared to wake the beast from a long hibernation. I knew the PO was a complete numbskull and I had already covered up enough of his mess.
Then there was this:

I knew this would be a problem, but for some reason, I just figured that maybe it wont leak so bad...I just wanted to test fire.

This one really is a sore subject for me. The rest of the bonehead remedies were borderline humorous, but this one just crosses the line. There are so many reasons to be angry over this, but I'll just say that I'm happy that he doesn't own this machine anymore, and all of the evidence of his terrible approaches to maintenance will soon be a thing of the past. Signs of neglect are being replace with thoughts of proper care.

I literally had to CHISEL the old dried-up schmegma-based sealant with a light hammer and a flat head.

Well I'm down to a clean tank, awaiting the arrival of a new fuel pump gasket. This should be the last bit of disgust that I will have to go through. Bike is complete minus bodywork.

I just wanna hear my Sato's sing to me.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
^ WTF kinda sorry excuse is that for a fuel tank/pump gasket?!?!?! Some people shouldn't be allowed to tinker or work on their cars/bikes at all...

'06 Black/Metallic Gray RC51
-Competition Werkes FE w/
Clear Alternatives IT

'02 Silver/Black CBR 954RR
'11 Graphite Black CBR 1000RR (sold '15)
'08 Pearl Orange CBR 600RR (sold '11)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

So, a few months have passed, and I FINALLY received my title from my state's salvage dept.

Game Time! - Today's task: install Ohlins HO204 and exhaust.
And perhaps my over-exuberance will push me to cut slider holes in my track fairings, and then mayybee I'll install my PC3 by the day's end. Regardless, this weekend's forecast for pleasant weather will have to be utilized for some spirited testing/tuning.
It's been long time coming...time for a good track season and summer!

A few pics below

Fresh overhaul...everything was pulled and cleaned/inspected short of dropping the engine out of the frame.

Out with the old; in with the new.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

A BIG Thanks to everyone for helping with parts and info. This forum is an invaluable resource to RC owners!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 12:47 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Excellent write up, amazing project and as far as the latest update, only one thing comes in mind.....sweeeeeeet tits on one's RC51!

My Íhlins Project: https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6033
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
Congratulation to MakisRC51 for winning the 2014 Bike Of The Year Contest!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode