SP2 colors / decal options? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
SP2 colors / decal options?

Hi!

This is my first post at this forum. Not yet a RC51 owner, but getting quite close. Was driving a Suzuki GSX-R 750 by the time when the SP1 and SP2 were introduced to the market. But now several years later without owning a bike for quite some time I still can't get that awesome looking bike out my head. So that's why I started to search for a SP2 here in Europe.

Which leads to my question regarding different color schemes / decal options that was available from factory or dealer when the SP2 was sold as new. Always had a special eye to the fairings with the Castrol decal set, but when I try to find if this was an option Honda offered or if all Castrol versions are after markets I can't really find the answer? So does anybody know if the Castrol version was offered by Honda or if they're all after market creations?

I've attached two images of two bikes of interest which are quite similar by the looks, but there are some differences in their looks looking at the decals (besides the exhaust systems).

If they're all are after market creations, what would you say about the current and future value of an "Castrol version" versus a standard white or silver version of the SP2?

Thank's for reading and hope you can help bring some clarity to my Castrol questions

Regards,
Fredrik.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sp2-A.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	119058   Click image for larger version

Name:	sp2-B.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	119066  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 03:00 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Garage
Hello Frederik,

Where in the EU are you?

As far as I know, the (1st batch?) of SP2 you show in your pictures, came with a sticker set from the dealer.
But I reckon many "replica's"were made/resprayed; some very very nicely done, other poorly. You can even buy chinese bodywork in that livery....
Underneath they are all the same from the factory though.
In the Netherlands, the last/"ultimate series" imported ones were all black and are priced accordingly. One dealer asking Eur 8,500 for one (with mismatched tyres, pitted front fork stanchions). The black frame/swingarm touted as "special", whereas this was "nomal" in the USA. To me, that was some 2,000 euros too much. But I donot care if prices of SP2's skyrocket.......

bought mine 2nd hand with some (USA?) decal set on the top fairing, celebrating the 2002 championship. I like it and never thought nor cared if this raises its value....

Last edited by Dutchy; 12-26-2017 at 05:51 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 04:56 AM Thread Starter

Hi Dutchy!

Thank you very much for your reply. That's a very good looking bike you got there! I'm located in Sweden but looking to buy from Germany since there are not a single SP1 or SP2 for sale in Sweden for the moment.

The pictures I included were booth from German dealers. One bike has 32.000km asking 7500 and the other only 6.000km asking 10.500.

Since I'm fairly new on this model I find it hard to see if the bike has been modified and replaced with non original / OEM parts. I can attach more pictures with higher resolution if someone wants to help out with some inspection

/Fredrik.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 09:27 AM

Garage
Takse mukke!

I would not be able to tell you if one is "real"or not.

Looking at autoscout24, prices vary a lot around Europe and I suspect some of them are proced as "future classic"...... ahem.......... I'd say "Don't believe the hype"... :-)
For me personally, mileage means nothing, documented maintenance and the asking price do. The engines have gear driven cams, just like earlier VFR's, and I reckon are not prone to failure. Unless a PO caned the bike from cold for hours on end. So if you want "pristine"you pay more, but why? are you gonna put the bike in a display case or hang her from the ceiling in some 50 shades of grey fashion? :-)
The bodywork on mine was not perfect, had a set of WAAAYYYY too load mufflers (and the OEMs as spare) and the Ohlins at te rear needed a service. we came to a price we both we happy with...

It is a bike and bikes that are ridden pick up patina.... imho...
1st valve check on my VFR750 was @ 90,000km. all still good/acceptable. Only on oncoming car turning left in front of me (5,500km into my trip around the Baltic Sea) killed that bike off (hence me now on a SP2).

If you have the itch for a "Castrol" and have the money for it regardless, then go for it!

Sweden was nice and sunny

Old enough to know better, young enough not to care.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

That looks really nice, where was the picture taken?

The bile is not to be on display in any movies or show rooms But I prefer to find a bike with the right combo of history, service and overall condition. That's of course a matter of personal taste and opinion..

But that was part of my question regarding if there was something delivered from factory or if they were a mix of decals provided by Honda dealers and Chinese copy cats. It should have an impact of the price.

Many dealers in Germany have not been willing to discuss the price on the SP2s I've been in contact with. Which I find strange since many of them has been sitting on adverts all summer.

The one with 32.000km has a service book, but the only stamp is the first service. Rest is covered by bills from different workshops, but no stamps in the service book.

In the ad they "WP federbein", is that a good or bad thing?

My questions are drifting a bit towards "overall what to think about buying a SP2". Let me know if I drift to far of topic here..

Thanks!

/Fredrik
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 04:34 PM

Garage
That bridge leads to Tjorn; I had a few "set" destinations to meet friends who live around the Baltic Sea but my trip was pretty much every day look at the map and decide where to go.

Forgot where this was in Sweden

WP is/was a Dutch company that has been bought by KTM. They gave up their full name a while ago..... White Power :-)
Nothing to do AT ALL with that crap that is rife in the USA, but merely that when they started out a loooong time ago, they had to outsource the powercoating of their rear springs. Money was tight so they found a place whoes main line was powercoating hospital beds. You guessed it.. WHITE :-)
So WP is a respected brand, but it will only be as good as the wear/tear/service on the internals and the "weight"of the spring which should be a close match for your weight/risding style.

On the service, they only real "biggie"is evidence that the valves were checked of the 32,000km one and oil changes. the rest (tyres will be very old most likely) are consumables

Found a few on the Dutch "Ebay"
ie https://www.marktplaats.nl/a/motoren...sPage=lr&pos=2

or slightly rashed
https://www.marktplaats.nl/a/motoren...sPage=lr&pos=5

Buying from a distance is a bit hard and if the dealer is not willing to negoitate, walk away at those prices. You will be taking that bike to Sweden say any warranty is useless anyway. Yes, please bring it in and we will look at your claim.... duhhh... add the taxes your governemnt will want to levy on registration.....

So bottow line: how badly do you want to OWN and RIDE one and what are you willing to pay.. :-)

Last edited by Dutchy; 08-13-2017 at 04:36 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 04:35 PM

Garage
or at a dealer

https://www.marktplaats.nl/a/motoren...sPage=lr&pos=1

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 04:37 PM

Garage
scroll down

High Quality Racebike Decal Kits Racebike Decal Kits

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Hi Dutchy!

Sorry for late reply. I've been in contact with a couple of more SP2 sellers in Germany. This time I skipped the dealers and went to private advertisers, much better response!

The Dutch site your linked to (markplaats), is that the biggest buy/sell for motorcycles in the Netherlands?

Have you heard anything from other forum members about the decal site (honda-decals)?

I got about one more week to decide which bikes to visit and look closer at. I thought this was going to be easy...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 01:19 PM

Garage
Marktplaats is popular, and I see SPs on autoscout24 too (all over EU)

Are you planning to fly/train and then ride the bike or head down with car+trailer?
1st option is tricky for you will struggle with regards to licence plate and insurance. Unless the seller lets you ride the bike home on German plates/his insurance.
I did this for my good friend in Hanko (bought a VF500F2 on his behalf), but would not for a "stranger"

Good luck hunting!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode