Advise Needed - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Advise Needed

Hi all! I just picked up a 2002 from a friend but the bike needs a little work. Things like light rust, tip over damage, broken foot pegs/clutch arms... small easy replaceable things. My question is, I'd like to take this time over the upcoming winter to tear this bike down, within reason, and really bring it back. What areas of the bike would really benefit from being pulled apart, cleaned, and lubricated? What part of the bike will require special tools and should be avoided until tools obtained? What part of the bike are trouble areas that need special attention? That I you very much for the help.

2002 Baconator SP2 with things and shit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 12:46 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum!
How many miles on it? There isn't too much unique about the maintenance as they are pretty bulletproof, but they do run hot so keeping the coolant system fresh is key.
Any older bike of questionable maintenance history I think should get at least the following:
Flush all fluids: Oil, brake, clutch, coolant. Depending on your local climate I may also consider a coolant additive such as Water Wetter or Engine Ice. Any quality dot 4 brake fluid for the brakes and clutch will do.
Make sure the steering head bearings are greased and properly adjusted.
Same goes for the swingarm, but probably more trouble than its worth unless you are dealing with a truly high mileage bike. Special tools needed.
Tires! Even if they look like they have plenty of rubber left check the date code on them as they lose flexibility and traction over time.
Make sure chain and sprockets are within service limits, and the chain is properly lubed.
Since there is some minor rust as you say, it may be worth lubing your throttle cables while your at it. Motion pro has a widget.
One or 2 of the drain tubes that are routed down the left side of the motor have caps. Remove the caps, drain and replace.
The sprocket cover usually contains a bunch of crud...
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you very much. Great advise and insight. The bike is at 19k which isn't terrible. It also just went through a full service, new chain, f/r sprockets (16/40). The bike will be used in the desert and at about 4,200 ft elevation.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
It was due for a valve clearance check at 16,000 miles. Good idea to follow thru with it.

Change fork oil too.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Will look into that. Thanks ???. Looking through other posts, doesn't seem too bad doing it yourself.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
If you're greasing the steering head bearings, might as well switch to ALL BALLS (brand name) Timken bearings instead of the OEM ball type.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank Rccbrz. I'll look into that for sure.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Rccbrz, took your advise on the All Balls bearings. Is there a trick to getting the bottom bearing in place without a press? Or am I better off paying a shop to press it into place?

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
you need some type of hydrauliuc press.....you could freeze the stem and lightly heat the bearing and see if that and a rubber hammer works......
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Garage
Probably cheaper to have shop do it if they have competent techs. You can do it yourself with the Motion Pro kit but it will set ya back $143. Does fit a variety of bearing sizes and I can say it does work having used it for my bike. Whoa, my mistake! Saw the Tusk tool on amazon for $54 and realized that is the tool I own and used for my bearing replacement. 2 hits with 32oz hammer and done.

Last edited by 10THbikE; 11-22-2017 at 09:10 PM. Reason: wrong info and additional info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode