51 falling into neutral - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
51 falling into neutral

Has anyone had a problem with the bike falling into neutral under hard acceleration in any gear? Not a false neutral but actual neutral with light and everything.

Any help would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Speaking for myself, no.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 10:00 PM

Without changing gears? NO

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Nope. No gear changes. coming out of maintenace throttle, hard on the gas, feet still on the pegs and bam! neutral. kinda scary when the bike is still leaned over. Happend more than once in different corners and in different gears.

thanx for the replies
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 12:56 AM

this is obvioulsy a drive train issue but what component is failing i dont know. maybe just take her into the dealer on this one. too risky to ride like that.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 12:32 PM

Problems like jumping out of gear need a set of eyeballs on the actual gears to diagnose correctly, in my experience. I had some issues with a 636 upshifting into 4th from 3rd any time I came off the throttle. I ended up dropping the motor and splitting the cases myself and taking the bottom crankcase with transmission installed into a mechanic. He took about 5-6 minutes to look it over and let me know what to replace. If you're comfortable doing that you can save in the neighborhood of $1000 in labor.
I don't know how it could give a neutral light from any gear other than 1st or 2nd. The shift drum would need to rotate into the position for neutral in order to light the indicator. From 4th, for example, the drum would have to rotate into 3rd, then 2nd, then into neutral.
Basics first. Be sure you are completing your shifts, especially into 2nd, and also that your linkage isn't binding or has too much free play, your shift lever isn't too high, stuff like that.

~Kev
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 07:33 AM

took apart a r-1 that did what your saying, and the problem was the detent lever broke the spring. the detent runs on little cams that let the shift forks switch gears and stay in the next gear before shifting again. i've never been in a rc51 engine yet.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
All modern motorcycles use a sequential gearbox.
If you're in any gear other than 1st or 2nd, there's no way to go directly to neutral.
What you're describing is a false neutral where the engagement dogs either didn't engage or slipped out of engagement. Generally not a good thing.

The causes could be: 1) A bent shift fork(s), 2) Worn dogs on the gear(s), 3) Broken detent spring or detent wheel on the shift cam, 4) Twisted shift shaft or rachet arm (probably not though).
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 05:36 PM

the detent lever is just like the lever system in a car automatic tranny . if you put it in r it should be in reverse, but if the detent spring is broken and you hit a bump in road it can bounce into any gear. just like what echo5 was experiencing. seen happen to 2 r-1's and one 900rr. detent spring most likely broken!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode