Silicons instead of Gasket - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Silicons instead of Gasket

Hi Guys,

I replaced stator coil recently with new gaskets and I find the oil is leaking.

im having difficulties finding new gaskets, can I apply silicon instead ?

this will be for the stator coil cover

Something like this

http://gdmogen.en.made-in-china.com/...ne-Gasket.html

Cheers,
Sam.
samuelprn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 03:03 AM
Lifetime Premium
 
MakisRC51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Korinthos, Greece
Posts: 3,239
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
I would go for OEM order at a dealer.
I don't think they cannot get the gaskets for you.

But if you are in a hurry and you need to close up the engine asap try applying a 3-4mm thick layer of gasket silicon, let it dry a bit so it starts to feel more like rubber than peanutbutter and then bolt it on the engine and keep your fingers crossed.

Of course that means you need to use a gasket really soon.
Honda uses a gasket there for a reason.
The CBR 1000RR 04 onward instead, doesn't use gaskets on the engine covers....... but that was manufactured that way.

However, you say you installed a new gasket and there was still oil leaking?
That means that the engine cover's mating surface is wounded, scarred or something? otherwise it is not totally flat and it doesn't press the gasket equally in every place around the gasket.
Did you use silicon gasket compound at the cover's rubber surface where the stator wires come out of it?


My Íhlins Project: https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6033
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
Congratulation to MakisRC51 for winning the 2014 Bike Of The Year Contest!

Last edited by MakisRC51; 03-18-2013 at 03:11 AM.
MakisRC51 is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 04:59 AM
Member
 
euro_e30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San AntonioTexas
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakisRC51 View Post
I would go for OEM order at a dealer.
I don't think they cannot get the gaskets for you.

But if you are in a hurry and you need to close up the engine asap try applying a 3-4mm thick layer of gasket silicon, let it dry a bit so it starts to feel more like rubber than peanutbutter and then bolt it on the engine and keep your fingers crossed.

Of course that means you need to use a gasket really soon.
Honda uses a gasket there for a reason.
The CBR 1000RR 04 onward instead, doesn't use gaskets on the engine covers....... but that was manufactured that way.

However, you say you installed a new gasket and there was still oil leaking?
That means that the engine cover's mating surface is wounded, scarred or something? otherwise it is not totally flat and it doesn't press the gasket equally in every place around the gasket.
Did you use silicon gasket compound at the cover's rubber surface where the stator wires come out of it?
while i agree with Makis, Honda designed it with a gasket for a reason, as long as the RTV silicone/gasket maker you are considering wont react with oils and whatnot, put ya a small even bead/layer on the cover, let it skin over a tad, install the cover but dont torque it down for awhile. let it set up a little further then torque it. a few good ones to use are: Permatex Right Stuff, either grey or black in the cheesewiz can, Victor Reinz Reinzosil in black, or a super grey RTV.... just my $0.02

My Toys:
'03 RC51
'08 Nightster
'89 BMW 325iS
'85 Toyota SR5 Pick-up
'85 Toyota 4Runner
RM125 engined shifter kart
euro_e30 is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 05:11 AM
Lifetime Premium
 
MakisRC51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Korinthos, Greece
Posts: 3,239
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
If I remember correctly, there was a gasket construction kit from Loctite with round and oval moulds where you pour silicone in, from a tube, and when it dries up becomes real rubber.

I believe, if that's still out there on the market, that could replace a gasket real good.
But one should test it thoroughly before resting one's mind in piece about it.


My Íhlins Project: https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6033
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
Congratulation to MakisRC51 for winning the 2014 Bike Of The Year Contest!
MakisRC51 is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 06:36 AM
Hig
Lifetime Premium
 
Hig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: RoT
Posts: 586
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've been known to permatex a few things in my days..however if there is a gasket made that should be the first go-to. Make sure both srufaces are clean, clean, clean. No residue from old gaskets. Like mentioned, if there is a rubber seal-gasket interface I like to use a small bead of permatex to seal between and around the rubber seal.

If the mating surfaces are skewed ever so slightly I have used a coat of the proper goo on the gasket. I will lay a small bead, spread it with a small putty knife and assemble it that way.

Another common mis-step is proper assembly with the gasket. Make sure you tighten the bolts evenly.

While the silicone may be a good band aide I don't like using it exclusively on fluid containing cases/reservoirs as the actualy layer created can be quite thin and not very stong under pressure or certain solutions.

You can even get a sheet of comparable gasket material from the auto shop and using the old gasket (if intact) a pencil and a hobby knife you can make a new gasket rather easily.

2001 #62. Ohlins rear/valves, Micron high mount, HyperPro damper, SharkSkinz, Tyga billet triple clamp, Tyga Carbon Fiber fender and hugger, Ti bolt/custom subframe/alien motion 8 cell diet, 15/41 520, COP conv. PCIII, Venhill lines, modified air box, turn signals in headlights...<deep breath> ZG Touring windscreen, Tech G rear sets, CRF450 rear master w/HRC cover, Tokico 6 pots w/V-pads, CRG Bar end mirrors, PSR Shorty levers-use only clutch, wanna-be basic racer paint, Roman Gold PC wheels
Hig is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 03:51 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,636
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If it came with a gasket use OEM...if I need to reuse a gasket this is what I use.


Make sure all surfaces are clean and oil free...this stuff ^^ is pretty much industry standard.



nobody is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 04:34 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
madbuyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 8,335
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
If it came with a gasket use OEM...if I need to reuse a gasket this is what I use.


Make sure all surfaces are clean and oil free...this stuff ^^ is pretty much industry standard.
ThreeBond......a.k.a Honda Bond, which is what they sell at the dealerships.



The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
madbuyer is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 07:20 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,636
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbuyer View Post
ThreeBond......a.k.a Honda Bond, which is what they sell at the dealerships.
Yamabond, Hondabond, Suzukibond, Kawibond...ya all the same sh**



nobody is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome