swapping the stock ignition coils for 08' 600rr sticks? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
swapping the stock ignition coils for 08' 600rr sticks?

I have heard of swapping the stock dual coils with wire, for the newer coil over plug system will weigh less and improve power. I know the 07' 08' honda 600rr coils should work and splice in the connector to the stock wiring. has anyone else done this? and if so can you confirm the accuracy of this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Here's the kit to do the conversion.
http://www.scottsms.com/store/index....products_id=95
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the link! I will try them out.....when its a bit warmer....and let ya know if they are worth the $150. Thanks!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 08:00 PM

This is kinda cool...What other coils will work? Just 07-08 600RR? It would be nice to go on e-bay and pick them up. 150 is too steep for me.....heck I will team up with some one and purchase a set of 4 and we can split them and the costs....
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Update on the coil overs!! I installed them today, very pleased! I will be going to the dyno soon to see actual results, but so far this is what I know.....08 honda 600rr sticks do work, one mod though, they felt a lil loose in the spark plug hole, simple fix, I put a high temp o-ring around the shaft, made it solid, and weather tight. Also the sticks require a studded spark plug(removable tip) the ngk's dont come off, so if you will notice the rc's can also use a denso plug "IK27" same temp range. it has a removable tip. I had bought the harness that goes with the 600rr sticks and simply cut the coil power plug and soldered them together, coverd with high temp loom. removed old coils, huge diff in weight.....if your looking to shave some pounds at least. I feel the throttle has more responce....but the dyno will tell, my wires on the stock coils as you know are not replacable and needed to be replaced, this solved that. Ill update later on the dyno!!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
I honestly doubt you'll see any difference in HP over the stock coils.
The potential payoff is reliability as you'll no longer have a high-tension lead that can degrade and break, or short over time, causing misfires.
Instead the the unit is self-contained with only a low-tension lead.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 04:50 PM

So i am sure that this will not increase HP or even make a noticable change in performance. I do think however it will make it a little more freindly for maint and reliability. Now is there any reason that a pair of coils from a 1000rr will not work? They have different part numbers but maybe they will fit a little tighter than the 600rr's.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 08:09 PM

Question Couple of questions...

BdRc...Great info...! I'm very interested in this mod as well. Did you but the kit from scottsms or just pick up the parts? Do you remember what the wiring specifics were? i.e. what colours from the new coil plug harness spliced into the stock RC51 harness for the front and rear coils? I don't have a schematic so I'm curious? Thanks...!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 12:37 PM

i just bought a thing of 4 09 cbr 1000 coil packs if anybody wants 2... has the harness to so you can splice in easily
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 04:29 PM

I also bought 4 CBR1000rr coil packs and i have the wiring harness too. I obviously only need 2 of them so the other 2 are for sale with the wires to splice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode