headder wrap - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
headder wrap

Has anyone ever used or thought of using header wrap on there pipes to help keep there bike just a little bit cooler i think im going to do it and see if i can drop a few more degrees.

2001 Honda RVT1000R RC51 SP1 22,500 miles, Power Commander, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber Pipes,K&N Filter.
Some other toys 2006 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100, 2005 Honda TRX450R, 2001 Yamaha Blaster, 2006 Yamaha Rhino
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 10:50 AM
Banned

i can get cheap ceramic coating done too FWIW

I have done both ceram and wrap and even ceram and then wrapped the back header too

it all helps and it depends on your budget

$200 shipped i can have the pipes done and i think wrap is like $60
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 12:25 PM

I have my header wrapped and its fine. Its a must for the back header cause the heat will ruin your shock.

Mark any idea on why the mounting brackets on my Yosh high mount mids for my SP1 wont line up with the holes in my stock rear sets? The mids are definitely for an sp1 but the damn holes wont line up. Guess I could cut em off and reweld them on in the correct spot. Figure I'd ask the exhaust expert.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 11:26 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Any one have more info on this?

I'm thinking to wrap my header from the heads to the mids.

Thanks
James
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 12:28 AM

There's a few threads if you search for "header wrap". I was wanting to do mine also. The only negative thing I've heard is that it can "wear" the exhaust out. By trapping the heat against the metal it breaks the metal down faster. I've never found any evidence of this, though. I mean, what's the lifetime of a titanium exhaust anyway? 10 years? So with wrap it might only last 5? I think my black 05' would look sweet with black wrap... just need to know how much to buy...
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 05:47 AM

Thumbs up

wrapped my sp1 header with header wrap i bought from local pepboys.to do so i had to remove the header completely, it's imposible to wrap it nice and tight without removing it. i bought those metal zip tie from ebay, DONT USE IT they are crap, i used regular metal clamp(the type that you tighten up with small bolt).one last thing make sure to cover your arms with long sleeve shirt, i got allergic rash from the fiberglass material for 2 days it sucks.good luck
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There have been reports of headers cracking when wrapped close to the head. Also by wrapping the rear only, which already gets less ventilation you will end up in uneven front/rear running. What was advised in other threads/forums was that you only wrap the section right next to the shock and maybe the right peg.
The cracks appeared close to the head. Look it up by running a search.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 02:30 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
I did the search and have read the theads. To me they all seems to be the opinions if it causes "wear" or not. I think I'm going to stick with my first intentions and find a place to get it ceramic coated.

Thanks
James
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_03_rc View Post
I did the search and have read the theads. To me they all seems to be the opinions if it causes "wear" or not. I think I'm going to stick with my first intentions and find a place to get it ceramic coated.

Thanks
James
I have had experience with header wrap, just not on a RC51. It does seem to cause the pipe to degrade pretty quickly. I used it on a wisconsin air-cooled twin cylinder engine. They make pretty high exhaust temps. Had that engine pulling a roots blower and a highpressure pump. It does trap the heat on the outside surface of the pipe, and another thing that happened to me is that friggin fiberglass was always shedding and getting in everything. Even tho I used the black paint stuff over the wrap (like the directions said) it was still kinda messy.

The new mids for my bike are ceramic coated: I'm sold!

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 06:30 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
I have had experience with header wrap, just not on a RC51. It does seem to cause the pipe to degrade pretty quickly. I used it on a wisconsin air-cooled twin cylinder engine. They make pretty high exhaust temps. Had that engine pulling a roots blower and a highpressure pump. It does trap the heat on the outside surface of the pipe, and another thing that happened to me is that friggin fiberglass was always shedding and getting in everything. Even tho I used the black paint stuff over the wrap (like the directions said) it was still kinda messy.

The new mids for my bike are ceramic coated: I'm sold!
Yep, like Jondog said it definitely degrades pipe life and sheds. I've also seen this stuff stick and ruin the finish of the pipes pretty bad. I guess if you do it, just plan on having it on for good.

2001 Honda RC51 SP1
1996 Honda CBR 900RR
2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R
1999 Aprilia RS50
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R (Sold)
2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode