Can anyone help me with my problems please? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can anyone help me with my problems please?

Hi, I am Robbie, and I am new to this site. I have 2004 RC51 Nicky special edition. I have a problem with my pips.

my right pip heat way more than my left pipe and I feel that it have more power than the left one as well. when I give gas, i hear more sound from the right one, and when i feel, the air from the right is much warmer than the left. I mean they both work but the right one sounds different.

can anyone please tell me what the problem might be so that my RC is not having his full power. is it sparkplugs??? or something else?

Thank you

Last edited by Rocket51; 04-12-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 10:34 PM

If it were me, I would start by checking the compression on both cylinders. Take a look at the color of the plugs while you have them out.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 10:58 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Does your engine run ok?
If your engine runs fine, then it's normal for the right pipe to run a but warmer than the left.
The right pipe (or front cylinder) has a straighter shot than the left pipe (or rear cylinder) that has a bunch of twists and turns before joining at the collector and then the muffler.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

I will check the compression on the cylinders and the plugs. Yes, the engine runs fine and normal but when I turn the bike on, the right one would be hot and the left still cold!! I mean something is going on, it doesn't sound normal.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket51 View Post
I will check the compression on the cylinders and the plugs. Yes, the engine runs fine and normal but when I turn the bike on, the right one would be hot and the left still cold!! I mean something is going on, it doesn't sound normal.
All RC's are the same as yours because of the routing of the exhaust off of the rear cylinder. I just wrote this long drawn out explaination, but figured I would try to simplify it.
Because of the turns in the rear cylinder exhaust pipping, and the angle the exhaust has to take to exit the left side (after meeting and spliting off from the right), some of the rear cylinder pressure will be pushed out of the right side also. The right side has a little more velocity than the left side because of the straighter flow. It will force some of the exhaust gasses along with it out the right side pipe. Thus causing a little bit more flow, and heat in the right pipe, which runs from the front cylinder. The front cylinder has a straighter flow. All of this is taken into consideration when being tuned. Take a look at your exhaust pipping, and you should understand what my post, and Subsailor's post are explaining.

Last edited by Modidy; 04-13-2010 at 10:22 AM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Hmm, that does make sence! But the right one is very hot while the left one is still cold!!!!!! Its not just little different. I mean u guys have a nice point and nice explanation. Good to know that there is nothing wrong with my bike but its weird lol.

Thanks for everything guys
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 10:11 PM

Take a heat gun and get header temp readings out of the cylinder....
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

what u mean!?? I took the bike to a honda dealer! they said its not normal like the people said!
they found out that the sparkplug is bad and the wire that connected to the muffler is bad, and other small things. so they will fix it and it would be powerfull again. they said any bike and every bike with V twins or double mufflers have to be the same heat.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket51 View Post
the wire that connected to the muffler is bad
That explains it then........
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

yes!
but I have to wait till next week to drop it off so they take a look at it and fix it. good thing I have warranty LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode