3?'s about 03... - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
3?'s about 03...

1. What spark plugs work best on an 03 rc51? The bike sometimes sputters and backfires a little when i let off the throttle(not too much or loud though), Have not looked at plugs but just a guess. Runin 92 Octain (9000 miles). Any guesses on the problem?

2. I am putting 520 conversion kit 15 fr 42 rear (Tierd of her bogging down so this should help her pop up and front wheel float). (130$ new) I have a PCIII and not sure if i may need to change maps from doing this. Also i have a cord to plug into the PCIII and laptop but not sure how to check what i have and if it is right with the jardine 1 slip ons. I would guess PCII homepage but not sure.

3.I am looking at putting in Royal purle 10w 40 full senthetic but wanted opinions on the wieght and product (4.5 qts i believe). I am in South korea and they have Motul 300V but im not paying 30$ a qt.

Thank you for any help, groundpoundn2000.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 10:50 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
1. The recommended spark plug is either an NGK IFR9H11 or Denso VK27PRZ11, both of which are iridium tip plugs. The backfiring could be a lean condition.
If you look at your plugs when you change them, they should be a nice tan around the tip. Do you still have your PAIR system installed? It may be adding additional oxygen to cause the popping as well.

2. If your bike has been mapped on a dyno, changing the final ratio should have no cause for remapping. You have a PCIII, PCIIIr, or PCIIIUSB?
The older units use a serial cable while the newer unit uses USB.
You might be able to use a serial to USB adapter cable to connect to the laptop.

3. 10W40 full synthetic is fine. I run it currently, although I use Mobil-1 4T 10W40 for bikes. It's around $10/qt. An oil change with filter usually takes around 4 liters.

Where in S. Korea? I pulled into Jinhae naval base a couple of times and visited Busan.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
1. The recommended spark plug is either an NGK IFR9H11 or Denso VK27PRZ11, both of which are iridium tip plugs. The backfiring could be a lean condition.
If you look at your plugs when you change them, they should be a nice tan around the tip. Do you still have your PAIR system installed? It may be adding additional oxygen to cause the popping as well.

2. If your bike has been mapped on a dyno, changing the final ratio should have no cause for remapping. You have a PCIII, PCIIIr, or PCIIIUSB?
The older units use a serial cable while the newer unit uses USB.
You might be able to use a serial to USB adapter cable to connect to the laptop.

3. 10W40 full synthetic is fine. I run it currently, although I use Mobil-1 4T 10W40 for bikes. It's around $10/qt. An oil change with filter usually takes around 4 liters.

Where in S. Korea? I pulled into Jinhae naval base a couple of times and visited Busan.
1. I will check my plugs and let you know. I do not know what you are asking about the PAIR? Maybe Orig plugs? I bought this bike about a year ago and put about a 1000 miles on it. I looked in the sight glass and seen fresh oil when i bought it. I have not had the sides off yet so i hope they were new plugs like he said.

2. Dyno Jet PCIII. I do have the right cord. I have Jardine RT-1 slip ons. I am assuming it was mapped for them. I will go to there home page and try to get the maps and am thinking of remapping even if it is the same maps i should be good right?

3. Royal purple is awsome in my sports car and i have heard nothing but good things about it so i think i will give it a try. I will look at the mobli 1 because i know it is good aswell and that is what i put in my Audi over here. Not sure if they have the 4t here though.

I am in Seoul. Jinhae is nice though. I was a GM a few years ago.....

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
An oil change with filter usually takes around 4 liters.
Sure you don't mean quarts?

-Tony B
00 RC51
06 Evo IX
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ev0lv3d View Post
Sure you don't mean quarts?
Yep I'm sure.
Per the service manual, with both oil and filter change, it's 3.9 liters or 4.1 qts.
And that's about the right amount I added when I last did such.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode