Transmission - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Farmington NM
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Transmission

Anyone know where to get some tranny work done, the 01 i just picked up has what i think are second gear issues. The original owner had several wrecks but the last one he went off the road and came back on under power the bike now goes from first to third with some grinding. I have not got it pulled apart yet but im thinking second gear or shifter fork. Any help would be great.
newmexicobullet is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 08:27 PM
Moderator
 
SubSailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 6,461
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Without checking the gear engagement pattern, I'd say on the surface either a bent shift fork or worn dogs on the gear(s).
Although I'm leaning towards the bent shift fork.
Either way, it's case splitting time.
Sorry to hear about that.
SubSailor is offline  
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 10:09 AM
Member
 
olred21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
where are you located, i could do the work for you but if you are not close then any deal i could give you would be ate up by shipping, pm me if interested. oh and i am a certified honda tech so the work will be top notch, not that being honda tech means anything but none the less the work will be excellent. things to remember on a job like this is to replace the water and oil pump while apart and before dissassembly check compression etc. might be a good time to go to a larger over size on your pistons or even some performance parts ie. higher comp pistons, cams, etc. and i know the cyl are nickasil there are options out there.
olred21 is offline  
 
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Farmington NM
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by olred21 View Post
where are you located, i could do the work for you but if you are not close then any deal i could give you would be ate up by shipping, pm me if interested. oh and i am a certified honda tech so the work will be top notch, not that being honda tech means anything but none the less the work will be excellent. things to remember on a job like this is to replace the water and oil pump while apart and before dissassembly check compression etc. might be a good time to go to a larger over size on your pistons or even some performance parts ie. higher comp pistons, cams, etc. and i know the cyl are nickasil there are options out there.

Im in the northwest corner of NM, Farmington to be exact. How about you?
newmexicobullet is offline  
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 09:58 PM
Member
 
olred21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ky/in border zip is 42301 sounds like a bit of a haul though
olred21 is offline  
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Farmington NM
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by olred21 View Post
ky/in border zip is 42301 sounds like a bit of a haul though
Yeah its a mile or two
newmexicobullet is offline  
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 07:24 PM
Member
 
olred21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
well good luck
olred21 is offline  
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Farmington NM
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by olred21 View Post
well good luck

Thanks once i get some quotes from my area ill let you know. Maybe we can work something out. I wouldnt think truck freight or ground shipping on just the motor would be that bad?
newmexicobullet is offline  
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 11:18 AM
Senior Member
 
ogiehooker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
bent shift forks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
Without checking the gear engagement pattern, I'd say on the surface either a bent shift fork or worn dogs on the gear(s).
Although I'm leaning towards the bent shift fork.
Either way, it's case splitting time.
Sorry to hear about that.
Yup +1....Roger tells me the rc 51 shift forks are like soft butter...
ogiehooker is offline  
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 11:30 AM
Lifetime Premium
 
Waldo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Boise Idaho
Posts: 861
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Did he offer any ideas for a replacement other than OEM

Waldo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome