Things to look for? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Things to look for?

Hey Guys,

I am new to the forum and new to the RC51. I am an ex motocross guy and believe the measure of an athlete is how he does in a 30 minute moto in the summertime on an outdoor track not how many tattoos he has and how high he can jump. I have been drooling over the RC51 since it was first released. I have had to wait all these years because I have been raising kids and apparently momma thought it was finally okay for me to buy one now that the kids are in high school. I have always wanted the RC51 because I can appreciate the function before form design and pure performance machine that it is. I have no interest in riding wheelies or lowering my bike like so many knucklehead kids do now-a-days. Now, that said I think I am in good company here after pouring through the forums and getting a taste for who you guys are.
I bought SP1 with 35,000 miles on it and it seems to be in pretty good shape. I want to put it up on the lift and go through it before I do any real riding and definitely before I put the wife on the back of it. I was wondering if you guys could give me some input as to things I should look for specifically due to the mileage. Any and all pointers would be greatly appreciated. If your all tatted up and like to do back flips but have some good advise, I wont hold it against you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 02:24 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum I dont know much about the Rc51s i am still in the learning stages but they do seem very well sorted in the engine department the only thing I have found is that some of the finish on some parts are not so good. The feed back from yourself when you check the bike over will be interesting with that kind of mileage. Good luck and keep us posted Please.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
First off, welcome to the group!
Secondly, 35k miles is not a lot of miles on these bikes.
It's barely at the second valve check interval (every 16K miles).
Since it's practically time for it, I'd have the valve clearances checked, the coolant flushed and replaced (if it's been two or more years since the last), and oil and filter replaced if it's due.
Also check the brake pads for wear (or uneven wear at the front).
Make sure the fan spins easily with no squeaks, which could indicate the fan bearings are getting old.
Have the brake and clutch fluids flushed and bleed. Replace the air filters, or clean them if aftermarket.
And just basically go through the bike if the maintenance history is spotty or unknown.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVK31 View Post
Hey Guys,

and definitely before I put the wife on the back of it.

Have you seen the two-up seats on these machines? My wife rode once and said she would never ride on the RC again. My ZX6 R is better suited for that. Which is fine by me because it allows me to do what the RC is good at, play. You'll enjoy the RC. Welcome.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 02:20 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to William
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
First off, welcome to the group!
Secondly, 35k miles is not a lot of miles on these bikes.
It's barely at the second valve check interval (every 16K miles).
Since it's practically time for it, I'd have the valve clearances checked, the coolant flushed and replaced (if it's been two or more years since the last), and oil and filter replaced if it's due.
Also check the brake pads for wear (or uneven wear at the front).
Make sure the fan spins easily with no squeaks, which could indicate the fan bearings are getting old.
Have the brake and clutch fluids flushed and bleed. Replace the air filters, or clean them if aftermarket.
And just basically go through the bike if the maintenance history is spotty or unknown.
What he said. Got my bike with less than 8k on it and the clutch fluid was brown??? Bearings in the fan needed to be replaced and the grips needed to be re-glued.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 03:03 PM

Change all hrydo fuilds. every time i get a bike i strip it nearly down to frame..this is 1st one id didnt. axles are always dry, steering stem bearings are always dry, brake and clutch fluids are always nasty...no one manintains anything and go over all bolts. my air box had ever screw loose... and 2 screws just laying at the bottom!

you'll enjoy the bike. i am, but i do miss my 929rr cuz this 1000 just does not have the snap my double R did, but its more enjoyable!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 08:31 PM
Site Sponsor

Welcome, ride safe and all the aforementioned items are worth checking. These are a very solid bike though! Glad you got one and enjoy! They are amazing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode