Difficulty starting when engine is warm - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Difficulty starting when engine is warm

I have a 2000 RC51 I just bought about 2 months ago. Fairly stock except for a change in gearing and a power commander. It started and ran amazing up until about 3 weeks ago. Then it would start no prob when cold, but was difficult to start when the engine was warm. I have to mess with the throttle now and I'm not sure why.

Took it to a dealer and apparently it needed to be tuned up. Figured that was correct since the bike sat for 1.5 yrs. before I bought it. They drained the fuel and added additive, changed the plugs, cleaned out the airbox and put in new air filters.

Left the dealer yesterday and stopped a 1/4 mile down the road to top off the gas and the bike was still difficult to start. Like I said, never had to mess with the throttle when starting and now I do.

Any ideas?

2000 RC51
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
too rich to start

Hot starting big singles and twins is problematic if the mixture is rich.
One possibility is your map is messed up, try reloading it if you didn't have the problem before. Check the PC ground as well, it is known to cause problems and even destroy PCs.
What is your temp reading when you are having the problem? The hotter the engine is the leaner the mixture needs to be. One thing to check is your temp sensor wire/connections.
Most maps give it a richer curve in the bottom. By fiddling with the throttle while starting you are risking fouling plugs. By holding steady at slightly off idle you are allowing more air to go through, which helps starting with a rich mixture. You may want to edit the map manually if you can and lean out the bottom at 0 - 10% throttle. It will save you some gas.
WHat is the idle once the bike starts? If it is too low this may be your problem, adjust it up a little bit.
It is an old thread but it is good to have some reference for those who may experience similar problems. Cold starting problems --> too lean, hot starting --> too rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJMJ View Post
I have a 2000 RC51 I just bought about 2 months ago. Fairly stock except for a change in gearing and a power commander.

Any ideas?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 01:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sounds like it could be your battery, as I had this happen 2 years ago.

Lean it over a bit more and twist it. Niiice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode