Clutch Reservoir changeout - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Clutch Reservoir changeout

I just replaced the whole left bar clutch assembly on my sp1 with one off an 04. My previous one was damaged in a wreck. Do I need to change out the fluid? As in drain it and replace the clutch fluid? If so, How is this done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
If you changed out your clutch master cylinder, you'll probably need to bleed any air out of the line.

It would be best to get a Mity-Vac unit and bleed the line that way.
All you do is read the instructions, connect the unit, squeeze a few times to draw a vacuum, then open the bleeder valve.

You can then continue to pump the Mity-Vac and pull fluid down the line from the master cylinder into the catch bottle at the Mity-Vac side.

Just be sure and monitor the fluid level at the master cylinder reservoir.
It will empty quickly since it has less capacity than the brake reservoir.

If you're doing this yourself, just close the bleed valve and fill the reservoir and start again.
If you have help, they can just continue to fill the reservoir while you're pumping the Mity-Vac.

When no air bubbles are viewed in the clear hose to the catch bottle, close the bleed valve and check operation.

Just be sure and don't spill any brake fluid on painted surfaces. It will damage that paint.
I usually wrap a shop towel around the reservoir to catch any fluid that may dribble over the edge.

You of course can use this method to bleed your brakes, or to replace the fluid with fresh fluid.

Last edited by SubSailor; 02-09-2011 at 08:30 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 08:41 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
+2^^^

You won't be able to help but to change the fluid out on the clutch reservoir change over....you are better off with new fluid anyway.

$40 Mity-Vac at Harbour Freight.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey everybody, in regards to this I actually was able to do it for free with just the help of a friend. He pumped the lever and dumped fluid in the reservoir simultaneously while I caught the old stuff coming out of the bottom. Mighty vac would be great for 1 man job. thanks for all the help. cheers
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 11:38 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by REXGUNN View Post
Hey everybody, in regards to this I actually was able to do it for free with just the help of a friend. He pumped the lever and dumped fluid in the reservoir simultaneously while I caught the old stuff coming out of the bottom. Mighty vac would be great for 1 man job. thanks for all the help. cheers
That's exactly what I had to do. Would love a mighty vac, but...
It works, you just got to close the bleeder valve each time the clutch handle hits the handle grip. then release the clutch slowly and watch the fluid in the cup go down a little. It take a little while, but I think its an acceptible way if you dont' got the vac.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode