Possible to mount x2 fan motors to SP1? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Possible to mount x2 fan motors to SP1?

Hasn't happened yet, but I do plan to ride my motorcycle back and forth to work. There will be traffic and the Norfolk summers can be a bit brutal.

I've got a '00 SP1. Has anyone successfully shoehorned a radiator cooling fan into the right radiator? On that note, has anyone successfully added a SP2 right radiator to the SP1?

I like the idea of adding a manual switch with the fans reversed if it actually cools the engine faster in traffic. Seem a bit counter-intutive since it would be pulling heated air from the engine compartment out through the radiator instead of cooler outside air in.

Anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes it is all possible if you are careful.
The SP1 has a switch, a simple circuit that passes full power through the switch to one fan. The SP2 has a thermal sensor that feeds into the ECU the ECU decides to turn fans on, sends a low amp signal to the Relay, the relay turns both fans on.
I would suspect the wiring and the switch may not be able to handle the load of two fans and a relay of proper amperage is needed. I'd go with the 4 prong one used on the SP2 as a guide. It is a very common relay and used for other circuits. I'd take the wire from your switch and send it to the relay as the ground to the circuit. Then wire both fans off the relay.
There is a thread in some forum that also gives you a Nissan part number of a switch that fits on the SP-1 and turns fan/s on at a lower temperature.
http://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...tml#post677783

Good luck and let us know how you did it (take pics)!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 05:52 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
As ZeroGara said it is possible, the issue is the switch. you could always setup a manual switch as well. Heres a thread from Speedzilla on it. Let us know what you work out.

http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/rc5...radiators.html

2001 Honda RC51 SP1
1996 Honda CBR 900RR
2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R
1999 Aprilia RS50
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R (Sold)
2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the heads up on the wiring...

I'm not overly concerned about the electrical interface at the moment. I think we can safely run both fans without the use of a secondary relay; just pends how big you want to go with the switch.

What I'm looking for is if anyone here on this forum has either used an OEM fan and attached it to the right side radiator or something equally effective to make the RC51 a bit more in town friendly.

I believe someone on Speedzilla has recently done this; RC51forums seem to have the better technical rigor.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 09:52 AM
Lifetime Premium

i do not know of anyone. Not sure if the fan will fit on the right side....not much room there, on the SP1 the front ignition coil is directly behind the radiator, where the fan would be. On the SP2 i beleive it is moved down on the left side near the oil cooler and radiator reserve tank.

As far as what i've read a second fan may not help that much, guys on SP2's have the same problem with overheating in traffic. I think a manual switch would be your best bet, that way you can flip the fans on and control the temperature before it gets to the point it actually really needs it. That way once you hit traffic you can flip them on and start the cooling before it reaches 215.

2001 Honda RC51 SP1
1996 Honda CBR 900RR
2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R
1999 Aprilia RS50
2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Yep. Just spent the last 2 hours searching the Speedzilla forum.

There is a bit of bad gouge there but the long and short is that people have replace fans with aftermarket units; reverse flow on the fans; used water wetter...all with various levels of success.

http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/rc5...ting-spal.html has some good information for those interested (with photos).
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 08:28 PM

use water wetter, engine ice, purple power coolant additive any of those to help
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 08:55 PM

i had an RC51 when I was in Norfolk and drove it everywhere, never had issues....
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 12:20 AM

Can't get more brutal than the AL Gulf Coast. Never had overheating issues with my SP1
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 01:32 AM
Lifetime Premium

Nice, let us know if you end up going the SPal route. Would be interested in seeing how much of a difference it makes in traffic.

2001 Honda RC51 SP1
1996 Honda CBR 900RR
2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R
1999 Aprilia RS50
2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode