HELP!!!...Fuel Delivery Problem - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HELP!!!...Fuel Delivery Problem

Hello All!

I'm fairly new to the v-twin world, but have been on inline fours for the past six years. I was lucky enough to get my hands on a 2006 RC51 this past winter for a steal, so I couldn't pass it up. I had to jump through some hoops to get a clean title on it, but after it was all paid off by previous owner, I've not got a clean title in my hands. Now for the problem...

I had it all torn down this winter to change oil, check fluids, rewire the hack-job in the rear tail and just a general clean up. We got it all buttoned back up and I took it out to ride, and ran into some serious problems.

The bike had been giving us a really hard time starting. The battery had plenty of juice and was cranking the engine plenty quick to turn over, but it almost seemed like it was starving out from no fuel delivery. The fuel pump primes properly, from what we can tell. Upon getting the bike started, I took it out to run it down the road a few miles and make sure it was good to go. As I was heading up through the RPMs, the bike seemed to hit a wall around 5000 RPM and just stumble and die out under hard acceleration. The bike never actually died, and ran perfectly smooth down under 5k RPM. Once it was pushed hard and I attempted to go back above about 4.5-5k RPM, it continued to stumble and would not pull at all. I've checked the PCIII and it holds a map and functions properly, so feel we've eliminated that from the list. I'm wondering if it's a bad fuel pump??? Also, the bike pretty much sat for around two years prior to be purchasing it from the guy, which also makes me think fuel pump.

If anyone out there has ANY suggestions, I would GREATLY appreciate any help whatsoever. I'm sort of at a loss, and really want to avoid taking it into a dealership in order to do work we can do on our own. Also, didn't want to blow a huge chunk of money on a new pump if that wasn't the issue as well. Hopefully someone has some input/suggestions on this issue. Thanks in advance!

-Russell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 09:47 PM

The first thing I would check would be the fuel return line from the fuel rail to the fuel tank to make sure its not pinched.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 10:33 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Fuel pressure regulator....if that doesn't work, fuel pump change.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
I sure don't think Pardon did it intentionally, but this same thread is posted in 2 other sections. Confusing :-/

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 06:37 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Maybe a panic attack because it is the first nice day where he lives and can't get the 'ol girl to scoot

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Haha sorry about that guys. I went ahead and posted the thread in a few different sections just hoping to get any/all kinds of responses rather than only putting it into one section where it may not get noticed. We ran some injector cleaner through it and it keeps showing signs of improvement. If it doesn't seem to clean itself up in the next week or so, we're going to go ahead and do a filter change and most likely do the fuel pressure regulator as well.

-Russell
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 10:53 AM

It'll get noticed. Many click 'Active Topics' when we log in. That shows me everything that's recent. I know you want answers, but the threads get disjointed and redundant.

Get that RC51 fixed! Let us know what it was. Good Luck

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 09:31 PM

I am having a backfire through the intake. What could the problem be.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
well??
I am having the same exact issue with my 06 rc. did it need a fuel pump or just a filter??
Trying to raise the dead here
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 07:15 PM

You really need to check the fuel pressure regulator first. FPR. It's under the right on top near the rear of the tank. pull the small vacuum line off and see if it drips. There shouldn't be [U]any[U] sign of gas at all there. with the vacuum line still off, turn on the key and when the pump starts to prime, watch for dripping from the FPR. If the pump primes all the way up, shuts off, and it's still bone dry at that small nipple, then look into the fuel pump and filter. the big pictures that jennysmith posted show the pump/filter unit that mounts to the underside of your tank. More likely that the fpr is the problem, unless you don't hear your pump prime when you turn on the key.

John, 2000 RC51 #000100

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode