Fan Upgrade? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fan Upgrade?

The temperature is quickly approaching the 100 degree mark where I live. The bike will get really hot just farting around in the city and If it gets hot it does not cool off that easy. If I get straight to highway speeds 65+ it will not get much over 190 sometimes 205. I have a truck but I'd rather ride my scoot than my cage. More fun and saves on gas. I will be riding to an area this summer frequently that will see 105+. I don't think I'm going to have too much trouble on the highway but soon as I get in the city bizallz watch out!

I am running engine ice and Moble 1 4T 10W-40. The fans kick on at about215 ish yet the bike still gets hotter itís never been over 233 that I know of, and my understanding is 254 is the o shit spot. My buddies tell me if I get to 240 ish shut it down! I am going to do the fan switch mod, but what else can I do to help cool this oven down? I was wandering if there is any kind of aftermarket fan upgrade that would make it move more air? I was also thinking of trying Royal Purple. Iíve been told it makes em run a little cooler.

Iím gonna hate to see what itís gonna do if it gets up to 110+ last year it hit 111 one day woot hot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 08:56 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
There was a post on this not too long ago.....

https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/sho...hlight=cooling

Read through that, i beleive there was an aftermarket option out there. i think your best bet is that manual switch. it will help you control the temperature before it gets to that point especially if you know your going to hit traffic.

2001 Honda RC51 SP1
1996 Honda CBR 900RR
2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R
1999 Aprilia RS50
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R (Sold)
2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 09:33 PM

you have a handful of options, from radiator scoops and radiator fins with reversing fan rotation, to full front mount radiator kits that start at around 1200 bucks and go up from there...

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 10:00 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
There are several threads on here about fans, radiators just do a search from the above tool bar. I know I have changed mine to SPAL fans and put a manual switch on it.

2004 RC51 with multipul mods
1985 VF1000R SOLD 😭
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 11:59 PM

Here's the direct link to the SPAL thread with some info on a rocker switch for fan direction reversal.

http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/rc5...oops-fans.html

Here's a link to ebay with the SPAL fans that are listed for ultra cheap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/5-2-i...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by Highwaystar22; 04-06-2011 at 12:25 AM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

I think I'm just going to start with the switch mod. I did some reading on the fan reversal that makes sense as you are blowing the air out venting heat vs sucking in air and blowing hot air in. Now would there be any benefit to setting it up with a three mode switch? One position lets the ECU do its thing. The other two positions allow you to override the ECU and turn on the fan either OEM flow or reverse flow? Or would that be a waste and I should just reverse the fans and add a switch?

Besides the ball fire is there any benefit to making this bike run cooler?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 01:06 AM

After reading all the threads supplied and some others on Fireblades.org I'm going run fans. Not that I don't like to be involved with my machine, but I don't wanna be fiddling with a switch with a bunch of silver haired cagers here in FL, and I'm still on convinced on this "reversal of the fans is efficient" theory. And the reversal comment was made without malice.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 02:06 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
if you are mostly worried about low speed crawling through traffic your best bet in that situations is do the spal fans and manual switch......fins and reverse polarity fans will only help you out at high speed.

the 3 way switch would be fine....1 position normal ecu (normal riding), 2 position manual fan (hitting traffic). 3 position reverse flow (back at speed after sitting in traffic).

2001 Honda RC51 SP1
1996 Honda CBR 900RR
2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R
1999 Aprilia RS50
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R (Sold)
2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)

Last edited by gts455; 04-06-2011 at 02:10 AM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts455 View Post
if you are mostly worried about low speed crawling through traffic your best bet in that situations is do the spal fans and manual switch......fins and reverse polarity fans will only help you out at high speed.

the 3 way switch would be fine....1 position normal ecu (normal riding), 2 position manual fan (hitting traffic). 3 position reverse flow (back at speed after sitting in traffic).
LOL the light bulb just went on about the reverse fans at speed it makes more sense now. I think I'm going to looking the spal fans.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by RC51-Dream; 04-06-2011 at 09:54 AM. Reason: spelling
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts455 View Post

Low speed crawl in the Florida summer is my main concern. I would like the ability to flip them on when I see the temps climb, but I'm going to see if the ECU on my SP2 can regulate the temps within acceptable levels before I start splicing switches in to override it.

Anyone running just Spals without a switch want to weigh in on what they normally see for temps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode