Short! - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Short!

One little problem after the other keeps popping up on this bike. I think it might be time for a complete rebuild. I don't want to sell it but I don't want to spend several thousand bucks to keep it going. The new issue, Bike farting out. It almost seems like some type of ignition problem. Drive around town or out on the highway as long as you are going down the road there seems to be no problem. Then randomly it just dies. The other thing I noticed when this happens the trip meter zeros out and if I have it set to the temperature it switches to the odometer. Also when I turn it off sometimes the same thing happens with the display. This bike has a PC3 USB installed. I bought it with it. I am thinking about disconnecting the PC3 and seeing if anything happens. I am concerned however that it will lean out the bike and cause more of a heat issue than I already have. It has Yosh slip ons. I also do not have the software to load maps or the connection cable. I am getting ready to start taking things off and checking all the wiring and the spark plugs. It may be a combination of things. I may just start tearing this thing completely apart. Is there any ware I can find complete wiring kit / harness for this bike?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 06:58 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
first check the PCIII connections. guys have had problems like this because the PCIII was improperly connected or shorting out.

2001 Honda RC51 SP1
1996 Honda CBR 900RR
2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R
1999 Aprilia RS50
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R (Sold)
2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 06:59 PM
Lifetime Premium

if you decide to re- wire the bike Ben from rc51parts.com will have everything you need at the cheapest prices. hes got quite a few full harnesses on his site right now.

2001 Honda RC51 SP1
1996 Honda CBR 900RR
2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R
1999 Aprilia RS50
2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 07:12 PM

dont give up on her she deseves it! i rescued mine also and it seems like the more i do the more needs done... plenty of satisfaction felt when you do get it sorted tho. if it was a cbr id say get rid of the fuckin thing its not worth the headache but its not and it is worth it in the end. plenty of peeps on here can help you with the tech stuff dont be afraid to pm subsailor he has alot of answers

2000 RC51
1985 ATC 350X
2009 Silverado SS clone
Lots and lots of guns!lol
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys I'm starting the work now. I Have to remove the fairings anyway I need to flush the clutch hydraulic fluid. Already ran into a problem! Dam clip for the right headlight is really loose. Second how the heck do I get this front fairing off? I have only removed the side and rear fairings before on this bike. Only hang up is the turn signals? Do I need to cut the wires to remove it? I removed every bolt on the front end cant figure out tow to disconnect wires to the turn signals. If I have to cut them do you have any suggestions on a quick disconnect type plug? As I got a feeling things are going to be coming off this bike often at least for a while. I think I am just going to tear this bike down completely and clean everything up. I am going to check the PC connections which fuel injectors should It be hooked up to?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51-Dream View Post
Thanks guys I'm starting the work now. I Have to remove the fairings anyway I need to flush the clutch hydraulic fluid. Already ran into a problem! Dam clip for the right headlight is really loose. Second how the heck do I get this front fairing off? I have only removed the side and rear fairings before on this bike. Only hang up is the turn signals? Do I need to cut the wires to remove it? I removed every bolt on the front end cant figure out tow to disconnect wires to the turn signals. If I have to cut them do you have any suggestions on a quick disconnect type plug? As I got a feeling things are going to be coming off this bike often at least for a while. I think I am just going to tear this bike down completely and clean everything up. I am going to check the PC connections which fuel injectors should It be hooked up to?
Never mind on the faring removal figured it out. However most of the connections are damaged looks like the previous owner did not take care when working on things the big gray one is basically tapped together. Looks like Iím going to need a new harness. Well maybe not but I figure why not do it right the first time. I wanna cry as my bike is going to be down for this nice weather.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 07:41 PM
Lifetime Premium

yea i'm doing a complete rebuild right now as well. the earliest i think it'll be ready for a ride is June.....

2001 Honda RC51 SP1
1996 Honda CBR 900RR
2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R
1999 Aprilia RS50
2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 07:52 PM

Check your battery and grounds. Both can cause your issue. I had the same problem with mine before and it ended up being a weak battery issue.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstcherokeekid View Post
Check your battery and grounds. Both can cause your issue. I had the same problem with mine before and it ended up being a weak battery issue.
I agree with this. Seen many a roadside run issue being traced down to grounds or grounding connections, vibrations as culprit, etc. Unless you definitely have harness/wiring shorts check all your negs.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 08:21 PM

get a sevice manual it will help more than you know

2000 RC51
1985 ATC 350X
2009 Silverado SS clone
Lots and lots of guns!lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode