Smoker when warm - time to rebuild
I recently bought a '03 with about 50k on it. I haven't ridden it very much yet but it pulls strong and sounds good. Fairly stock save for PC3 and full ti Akra.
However I noticed that it burning oil. Not to the extent that I would say it's noticeable in the oil window but you can see it (and smell it) when you blip the throttle or when it's idling. On to move you can't see it, neither when pulling hard or on the overrun, only when static. And only when full warm, not when cold.
When I turn the engine off, smoke's coming out of the exhaust, mostly (if not only) the right side.
According to the PO this behavior is new (off course). A shop set the valve clearances last fall and the bike was hardly ridden after that (only like 5 miles or so). So there's a chance they they may have screwed something up, like the PAIR o-rings. I'm gonna look it up but may rebuild regardless of the outcome.
Anyhow, I've talked to a shop about a rebuild/mild tune up. Not looking for hp really, rather making it run better (and not smelling like a diesel). I'm thinking about doing the following:
* Minimum bore/hone and forged pistons.
* Heads clean up porting and valve job.
* Bearings, replace what's worn etc.
* What c/r to shoot for?
* I can get my hands on race cams (HRC or Moriwaki - he wasn't sure). Is it "worth it" to buy them and put them in? Ie how poor are the stockers?
* What did I miss? Are there any other must do's?