i have issues...help - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i have issues...help

its hard to explain, and probably even harder to offer a solution, but here goes. my rc is a 2005, and it has 15-16xxx miles. its been running fine until all the sudden a month ago it started running like poo. right after i got gas. it started missing, then progressed to turning off then back on real quick. but it only does this while under load. it can idle all day long. well i emptied the gas tank, and pressure tested the fuel pump, came up with about 45 psi, with engine off, and 47-48 while running. its supposed to be at 50. so, i volume tested the pump, which is supposed to be at 190 cm3 in 10 seconds according to the service manual. mine spit out almost 360 in that time frame. i checked the fuel filter too, and its fine. all connections are fine too. i am however missing a headlight relay, it has had a jumper wire run to allow the headlights to function. my mods are a turn one snorkel, pair delete, and d&d exhaust. but that is it for mods. i have run outta ideas on what it could be, and i miss my bike. any help would be great. if you need me to explain anything in greater detail, lemme know, ill do my best. but even a shop cannot figure out what is wrong.
is it possible that the pair delete is causing it? or the missing relay? bad ground? bad coil pack? if maybe the coil pack, how could i test it? thanks

I hate two faced people...I'm never sure which face to slap first =P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 09:18 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
are you sure it was the headlight relay and not the fuel cutoff relay? i know stupid question, but i think that would be the only reason the two could be connected.

2001 Honda RC51 SP1
1996 Honda CBR 900RR
2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R
1999 Aprilia RS50
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R (Sold)
2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

idk if theyre connected or not, i know that this relay is the same as a fuel cutoff relay, but this one controls the headlights, because it went out and i had no headlights. i dont think it has anything to do with the situation tho. i think its something else, not fuel related. i seems like it has a short, or like the spark might be falling off, or not igniting the mix. that or someone suggested that i look for a ground wire, because the tip-over sensor could cause it. wheres that at and whats it look like? and does the rc have a knock sensor? that could be something too maybe?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Jumper your green service connector and turn the key on.
Consult your service manual for the blink codes that might indicate the problem area.

You said you checked your connections. Did you also check your battery and frame ground connection tightness?

Sometimes there are electrical issues that can cause the ECU to cycle (as if switching on the key).
The fact that the highbeam is jumpered vs using a relay doesn't give me warm fuzzies.
What other electrical modifications have you found by the prior owner?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

i havent checked all the grounds yet, idk where all of them are even. and jumper the green service connector? i know where it is, but just do like the relay, and check the FI indicator kinda like a OBD1 connector on a car?
what kind of electrical problems could cause it to do this? i.e. sensor, or something else?
i know when i got the bike it did not have working taillights. the brake light worked but no taillight. and they had removed the front flashers, and just left the wires hanging out to dry, with no bulbs in them. they also had cut the undertray up for a makeshift undertail, but in doing so, they cut the ecu's corner up a bit. it didnt actually cut into anything, it only cut a little slice off and got into that protective goo that is used to keep water out and keep vibrations from hurting the electronics. thats all i have found SO FAR. gonna go work on it again, see if i find anything else. ill keep checking back thru the day to see if there are any other ideas

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 03:05 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
the tip over sensor is the U shaped thing sitting on the outside below your seat with the green connector going into the battery tray.

2001 Honda RC51 SP1
1996 Honda CBR 900RR
2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R
1999 Aprilia RS50
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R (Sold)
2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickup_man06 View Post
i havent checked all the grounds yet, idk where all of them are even. and jumper the green service connector? i know where it is, but just do like the relay, and check the FI indicator kinda like a OBD1 connector on a car?
what kind of electrical problems could cause it to do this? i.e. sensor, or something else?
i know when i got the bike it did not have working taillights. the brake light worked but no taillight. and they had removed the front flashers, and just left the wires hanging out to dry, with no bulbs in them. they also had cut the undertray up for a makeshift undertail, but in doing so, they cut the ecu's corner up a bit. it didnt actually cut into anything, it only cut a little slice off and got into that protective goo that is used to keep water out and keep vibrations from hurting the electronics. thats all i have found SO FAR. gonna go work on it again, see if i find anything else. ill keep checking back thru the day to see if there are any other ideas
If you don't have it, download the service manual here:
http://www.rc51.info/index.php?page=service

Go to the section of PGM-FI troubleshooting. It will show the steps to check the codes.

The main chassis ground location is on the right side of the frame, just ahead of the subframe bolts. You'll see a number for green wires leading to a single lug. Just make sure the bolt is snug and not corroded.
It has been known to vibrate loose.

It sounds like the a lot of potential electrical issues exist just by your description. You may need to pull all the cowls and inspect the harnesses for damage (nicks, pinches, bare wires, etc.).

This I know from the previous owner of my bike.
I never had any electrical issues, but there was so many bare wires and relays bouncing all over I was amazed it didn't short.
I had to replace all my wiring harnesses due that bozo.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

found the problem! it ended up being a wiring issue, just as i initially suspected, and a tough to find on at that, found it on accident. one of the fuel cutoff relays had a cut wire right at the wiring pigtail and was opening and closing the circuit at random, which explains the erratic behavior. which leads me to another question...anyone know where i could get another relay wire pigtail for the thing WITHOUT buying an entirely new harness?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode