RC51 Forums banner

coolant drain plug?

6K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  jondog9 
#1 · (Edited)
Is there a drain plug somewhere on the engine block to drain all the coolant out? Got the rads emptied, but I couldn't find anything about a plug in the service manual. At least not in the section 3 that I'm using right now...
Thanks.

edit: I mean section 6, cooling system.

#2 ·
I know of no block drain for coolant.
The typical way to drain coolant is to pull the bypass hose from the water pump.

There will still be some residual coolant in the engine, so to ensure you have complete removal, you'll have to fill with distilled water, run the engine to open the thermostat to circulate coolant, then wait until the engine cools to safely drain, and possibly repeat.

#3 ·
That's exactly what I did. I ran it to 200 degrees to make sure the thermostat was full open and circulating. Cool down, drain, then removed rads again to rinse and drain by hand with a couple gallons more water.

I want to look at my spark plugs that were new before riding 36 last weekend.
And glue the foam back on the rads. And... I'll think of more to check before buttoning it all back up.

Oh, the Water Pump-mechinical seal inspection hose? I think that's what it's called. Is that supposed to be a dark grey? I guess I thought it would be clear so you could see in it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.