Stock injector capability, and tuning for turbo - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Stock injector capability, and tuning for turbo

Posted this in the modifications thread as well.

Just a few quick questions, I have some knowledge with turboing cars, I turboed my E36 about 2 years ago and it's been running great, TRM tune, 42lb injectors, Tubonetics 50 trim, etc... around 350whp.

Please don't flame me, and I'm not another guy just saying it's easy, I know what's involved, but I'd like to turbo my RC51.

I want more power, but I don't want to get rid of this thing, I love how it handles, feel, sounds, everything, just want some more power, and I love FI!

So, does anyone know what the stock fuel injectors can handle, and if a power commander is enough to tune for a turbo? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 03:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think there was a thread in the past about this, unless it was on an other RC forum. The consensus I believe, if that matters, was not worth the try.
I suppose your E36 was a 2.5 l6 which helps plumbing. On a V and with the limited space you have a plumbing problem. Then on singles and twins you have an exhaust pulse that gives dirty flow to the turbo, so it only kicks in at much higher revs than you would expect. Also on bikes you already have high compression so you have to be careful with boost. The RC is pretty low at 10.8:1 but still.
A small highspeed supercharger may be more worthy of a project, but what do you get when you supercharge a wheelie bike? A bike that can't be handled with a swingarm less than 4'.
I think a naked bike like an FZ1, XJR, or ZRX, CBF, GSX might be better candidates for such a project.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

I don't even know how superchargers work on bikes to be honest. Yup, the E36 is an M50 I6. Exhaust pulses won't be a problem on this bike, now if I was making a true split pulse manifold with equal length runners blah blah blah, but it won't be a problem and will spool just fine.

Basically I'm all ready to start working on it, but I need to know about tuning and I'm not sure who to ask.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 02:38 PM

I believe if you solve the spacing plumbing issues you may have something going. If you go and check out some videos of turbo bikes you may find something like R1 with 200+ hp but a power band narrower than a GP500 2T. With this bike you may have the best of both worlds. The next issue is rev range. This engine as it was designed promises much more hp if you can carry the revs a little higher, which gets expensive. Lighter rods, pistons, titanium valves, better springs, etc. It gets expensive. Then you have cooling problems with more hp on a bike that has limited space for cooling as it is.
A supercharger/blower is basically a turbine that gets power from the crank to blow more air into the intake. Based on the volume and speed it gets from gearing it delivers a rising pressure but usually runs out of breath in higher revs, or otherwise robs too much power at lower revs to be useful. Look for articels/videos on a ZRX1200.
The problem with turbos on bikes is you get what you don;t want, a large spike of hp in a very narrow rev band which is hard to control. It take s a while for the power to come and when it comes the bike spins/wheelies then you shift and wait again for the punch. You may end up with large numbers on a dyno, a high top speed, but you put this on a track and normal 600s might be passing you all day. Very different from a car due to the power to weight ratio.
I don't have numbers and you may not find them easy, I heard of a fellow sending them out to be measured for fuel flow. But engine control can be handled by a power commander and the stock ECU if you are willing to stay within the 10,250 red line.
I have a feeling that those 4 12/hole injectors are enough for more than 200hp but I have no data to support this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroGara View Post
I believe if you solve the spacing plumbing issues you may have something going. If you go and check out some videos of turbo bikes you may find something like R1 with 200+ hp but a power band narrower than a GP500 2T. With this bike you may have the best of both worlds. The next issue is rev range. This engine as it was designed promises much more hp if you can carry the revs a little higher, which gets expensive. Lighter rods, pistons, titanium valves, better springs, etc. It gets expensive. Then you have cooling problems with more hp on a bike that has limited space for cooling as it is.
A supercharger/blower is basically a turbine that gets power from the crank to blow more air into the intake. Based on the volume and speed it gets from gearing it delivers a rising pressure but usually runs out of breath in higher revs, or otherwise robs too much power at lower revs to be useful. Look for articels/videos on a ZRX1200.
The problem with turbos on bikes is you get what you don;t want, a large spike of hp in a very narrow rev band which is hard to control. It take s a while for the power to come and when it comes the bike spins/wheelies then you shift and wait again for the punch. You may end up with large numbers on a dyno, a high top speed, but you put this on a track and normal 600s might be passing you all day. Very different from a car due to the power to weight ratio.
I don't have numbers and you may not find them easy, I heard of a fellow sending them out to be measured for fuel flow. But engine control can be handled by a power commander and the stock ECU if you are willing to stay within the 10,250 red line.
I have a feeling that those 4 12/hole injectors are enough for more than 200hp but I have no data to support this.
Good info here, I have a lot of knowledge on how turbos and superchargers work, I just don't understand exactly what superchargers bolt up to on bikes. On cars you have pulleys, what's on a bike to connect to?

If the injectors and ECU are good for 200 hp then I'm ready to get started, I just need to know for sure, I contacted a shop in Texas through email about tuning, but he won't be back till Monday, I'll give him a call then.

Gonna stay withing the rev range it has now, keep the turbo small and boost low. I just want to be able to pull on brand new 1000s, nothing crazy. Plus the sounds of a turbo system are like no other.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 06:02 AM

Look at this and then follow other Duc projects. Remember that Ducatis due to their frame leave more space to place extra things in them.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 04:11 PM

Since Zero mentioned supercharged bikes, I recall reading a thread on another forum that showed a supercharger on a VTR I believe mounted on the right side.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Talked to a tuning company, Mr. Turbo in Texas. Real nice guy and has been helping me out. He told me the stock computer will work with a power commander, so I am in need of one of them asap.

I need to get the injectors flowed, buy a bigger fuel pump, a regulator, and then obvioiusly the intercooler, turbo, etc...

Looks like I'll be selling my Two Brother's high mount exhaust if anyone wants it.

So, who's got a PC USB for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode