Durbahn light alternator not sparking - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Durbahn light alternator not sparking

Anyone have any advice on a durbahn lightweight alternator setup not sparking? Bike was started prior to installation by shop...they have been trying to figure it out for over 1 week.....relocated stock pickup was touching some of the mounting bolts on the rotor but that's no longer a problem...check resistance etc....

Anybody have any ideas/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 03:15 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Relocating the pickup did they measured the gap it has in it's new position with the lobes on the flywheel? If the gap is too big, the pickup isn't triggered. Must be 0.6 - 0.7mm to work.

My Íhlins Project: https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6033
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
Congratulation to MakisRC51 for winning the 2014 Bike Of The Year Contest!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

here's what roger Ditchfield in the UK wrote me:

This is a nasty one. I have come across this before.

First you need to check that it is compatible with your CDI box so you need to speak to Thorsten unless you bought it new directly from him as there are are alternative wiring connections available to suit differently programmed CDI boxes around the World. An example of this is that the CDI boxes for bikes in CA are different to the rest of the US because of their strict Emissions Laws in that State.

Second the wiring harness is different between an SP1 and SP2 or the date of production on the US RC51 and the wrong combination will not fire as they are incompatible.

However It will be interesting to see if the bike fires when they return to OEM standard parts. The RC51 wiring harnesses are notorious for failing after they have be disconnected and then re-connected. If it does NOT refire when they restore it to OEM standard please contact me immediately before the shop goes on to charge you a huge amount of dollars for unnecessary work and parts!!

Last edited by ogiehooker; 09-05-2014 at 11:24 AM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 12:16 PM
Lifetime Premium

Unless I am missing something, I haven't heard about different wiring on the ignition between any RC51 SP1 or SP2 or US model or EU.

Checked the diagrams on the service manuals, founded in rc51.info

SP1 EU

SP1 USA

SP2 EU

SP2 USA

As you can see, the Yellow wire coming from the ignition pulse generator (pick up sensor) is identical to all and mounts on the same ECU pin.

I assume that Roger is referring to the ECU where he says CDI otherwise he is wrong if he refers to the Converter Box.
The Converter Box is the same to all RC51s and it's harness as well.
You can cross check the pictures above and see that in all 4 different models, the same colored wires go to the Con.Box, at the exact same positions on the connector.

The ECU sure is different on the fuel mapping between SP1 and SP2 but that is on the fuel injectors reference.

Otherwise, when I installed the SP2 ECU with the SP2 throttle bodies on my RC, as a lot of other folks in here have done, I kept my crankshaft pickup sensor, my camshaft pickup sensor and everything else OEM SP1, intact.
And my girl fired right up with no problems whatsoever.

Quote:

Last edited by MakisRC51; 09-05-2014 at 12:28 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 12:22 PM
Lifetime Premium

So as far as the ignition wiring I don't think Honda changed anything from 2000 to 2006.
SP1 and SP2 harnesses may differ in some circuits but their charging and ignition wiring are identical.

Also, even though I know that the fuel mapping is different between SP1 and SP2 ECUs, I don't believe the advance timing has been changed in their 3D ignition mapping.
Changing the ignition timing requires different variables in the engine which SP1 and SP2 don't have any. I am talking about different timing on their camshaft lobes, the piston's stroke etc etc

Anyhow, even if the have different ignition timing in their ECU's, this shouldn't be a problem in your case, because:
1) You haven't changed your ECU
2) You are still using your OEM crankshaft's pickup sensor.......aren't you?

Your bike should be at least able to run at idle speed and up to 6000rpms

From your original post, my guess is that the workshop has either damaged you crackshaft's pickup sensor, or relocating it they messed up with the proper gap that sensor should have from the flywheel's lobes in order to function properly.

Unless there is something they haven't told you yet, and we don't know about, so that we could add it in the equation.....

Quote:

Last edited by MakisRC51; 09-05-2014 at 12:27 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Tks Makis...went to the shop...reinstalled original setup...starts fine...

I was told that the pick up bolts were hitting the sensor so they sanded them ever so slightly towards the outer 1/3 of the pick up bolt head....It HAS to be in the pickup gap I am assuming...

Anyway, I may have to put this on the shelf until the new engine is built by the OTHER shop...LOL..

derrel
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 04:30 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Had a somewhat similar problem with the cam position sensor on my race engine using Kent Cams race cams.
The sensor trigger posts on the rear intake cam was hitting the tip of the cam position sensor enough to slightly "smear" the tip.
The engine still ran, but I replaced the sensor and carefully milled off enough material from each post to provide clearance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode