Build a Race motor thoughts? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Venom RC51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Murrieta Ca
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Build a Race motor thoughts?

Ok, so next year I want to try my hand at building a race bike, I am picking up a beautiful RC for the street in one month, that bike will remain babied and cared for for it's entire life (with me).

As for building a race bike, I REALLY want to begin collecting a base motor and race motor parts, I will collect any high perf pieces I can, and am still searching for clues on what parts to get and where to dig them up.

Is there any kind of info out there on building a very high performance RC engine? Books? Build sheets or HRC/Racer info?

Were lightweight cranks even made?

What type of lightweight connecting rods should I look for?

Heads? Head work? valves and Cams?

After Christmas I will start looking for stuff, please give me your guidance..

Thanks

Pat
Venom RC51 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 12:46 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
gts455's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Deutschland/Colorado Springs
Posts: 3,169
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Search the forum, there is plenty out there on this. Talk to ogiehooker, he is putting together a motor at the moment. If you look up his thread, most of your questions will be answered.

The HRC stuff is very hard to find and is expensive. If it pops up, there are a few guys who usually grab it immediately and pay a lot of money for it.....ask me how i know.

HRC had a lightened crank, one actually popped up last year on ebay.

Horde performance will put a motor together for you or if you really want to talk to someone who knows what he is talking about, contact Roger Ditchfield at RevolutionUK. Very close ties with the Moriwaki family, and built a few VTRs for BSB. They still build Stage 1, 2, and 3 motors for the RC.

Stage 2 cams are available but require a stage 2 valvetrain.....which would be HRC or Moriwaki. Both are hard to find. Roger can help you out with that though. Kibblewhite will make titanium retainers with a special order.

Carrillo rods are available but ogiehooker was having an issue with them.

JE pistons are available and i believe are HRC spec.

I have all the HRC manuals etc on digits, i can email you if you want. Other then that your best bet is to search through the forum and speedzilla archives for info, especially for the HRC stuff.

If you go to my build thread, it will explain alot as well.

Last piece of advice i have is be careful of HRC parts. they are almost always used and all of this stuff was designed to be used in conjunction with other HRC parts. To get one part to work usually requires solving a puzzle and tracking down unobtainium parts which end up costing thousands of dollars for a few horsepower and a lot of work figuring how to get it all to work....because very few people owned or raced the complete racers. Its all a big puzzle.

2001 Honda RC51 SP1
1996 Honda CBR 900RR
2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R
1999 Aprilia RS50
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R (Sold)
2010 BMW S1000RR (Sold)
2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
gts455 is offline  
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Venom RC51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Murrieta Ca
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gts455 View Post
Search the forum, there is plenty out there on this. Talk to ogiehooker, he is putting together a motor at the moment. If you look up his thread, most of your questions will be answered.

The HRC stuff is very hard to find and is expensive. If it pops up, there are a few guys who usually grab it immediately and pay a lot of money for it.....ask me how i know.

HRC had a lightened crank, one actually popped up last year on ebay.

Horde performance will put a motor together for you or if you really want to talk to someone who knows what he is talking about, contact Roger Ditchfield at RevolutionUK. Very close ties with the Moriwaki family, and built a few VTRs for BSB. They still build Stage 1, 2, and 3 motors for the RC.

Stage 2 cams are available but require a stage 2 valvetrain.....which would be HRC or Moriwaki. Both are hard to find. Roger can help you out with that though. Kibblewhite will make titanium retainers with a special order.

Carrillo rods are available but ogiehooker was having an issue with them.

JE pistons are available and i believe are HRC spec.

I have all the HRC manuals etc on digits, i can email you if you want. Other then that your best bet is to search through the forum and speedzilla archives for info, especially for the HRC stuff.

If you go to my build thread, it will explain alot as well.

Last piece of advice i have is be careful of HRC parts. they are almost always used and all of this stuff was designed to be used in conjunction with other HRC parts. To get one part to work usually requires solving a puzzle and tracking down unobtainium parts which end up costing thousands of dollars for a few horsepower and a lot of work figuring how to get it all to work....because very few people owned or raced the complete racers. Its all a big puzzle.
Thanks for the reply, I will take you up on the manuals if you don't mind (pm sent), I used to build most of my own motors many years ago, but never built a twin, so it will be more of a labor of love than anything...
Venom RC51 is offline  
 
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 06:10 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
RC-DEVIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: ATL
Posts: 2,289
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
save yourself the headache and trouble. contact Roger at Revolution Racing UK/Moriwaki he will do everything himself with the best parts


2003 SP2: Everything I could find.
1991 Honda HawkGT
2008 XR650L
Dec. 2011&2013, Sep. 2015, May 2019 BOTM
RC-DEVIL is offline  
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 08:15 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
Jetfuel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: WA state
Posts: 736
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-DEVIL View Post
save yourself the headache and trouble. contact Roger at Revolution Racing UK/Moriwaki he will do everything himself with the best parts
Nice, from his website...

some typical packages for the following machines:

VTR SP1/2 Stage 1 = 130+ BHP Porting & Gasflowing, Tuned Slip-ons, PC3R + K&N filters, Airbox mods, Cooling fins, Fork tune, Penske Shock

Stage 2 = 140+BHP H/C Pistons, Porting & Gasflowing, Full engine”Blueprint”, Full tuned Exhaust system, Airbox mods (Special airbox and front scoop for Track only usage) PC3R + K&N filters, Cooling fins, Fork tune, Penske shock

Stage 3 = 158+BHP Full HRC/Moriwaki/ Revolution RACE ONLY Bike. This bike has everything and is capable of being competitive at top National level.



http://www.revolutionuk.co.uk/revyourbike.htm

1986 Honda Interceptor...learned on it
1988 Yamaha Radian...wheelied on it
1990 Yamaha FZR...friend totaled it
1997 Honda Shadow...wife stole it
1998 Yamaha YZF...noob tree'd it
2002 Honda 954RR...just sold it
2005 RC51...finally found it

...if I stop runnin' the evil little clowns will get me!
Jetfuel is offline  
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 09:31 AM
Senior Member
 
dukatikid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 220
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetfuel View Post
Nice, from his website...

some typical packages for the following machines:

VTR SP1/2 Stage 1 = 130+ BHP Porting & Gasflowing, Tuned Slip-ons, PC3R + K&N filters, Airbox mods, Cooling fins, Fork tune, Penske Shock

Stage 2 = 140+BHP H/C Pistons, Porting & Gasflowing, Full engine”Blueprint”, Full tuned Exhaust system, Airbox mods (Special airbox and front scoop for Track only usage) PC3R + K&N filters, Cooling fins, Fork tune, Penske shock

Stage 3 = 158+BHP Full HRC/Moriwaki/ Revolution RACE ONLY Bike. This bike has everything and is capable of being competitive at top National level.



http://www.revolutionuk.co.uk/revyourbike.htm
Reading all that made parts of my body change inexplicably!!!

No prices listed which is probably a good thing for some of us.
dukatikid is offline  
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 01:35 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
Jetfuel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: WA state
Posts: 736
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukatikid View Post
No prices listed which is probably a good thing for some of us.
I just sent em an email, lets see what they say...

1986 Honda Interceptor...learned on it
1988 Yamaha Radian...wheelied on it
1990 Yamaha FZR...friend totaled it
1997 Honda Shadow...wife stole it
1998 Yamaha YZF...noob tree'd it
2002 Honda 954RR...just sold it
2005 RC51...finally found it

...if I stop runnin' the evil little clowns will get me!
Jetfuel is offline  
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 01:39 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
weyrauchrc51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: CA
Posts: 1,536
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetfuel View Post
Nice, from his website...

some typical packages for the following machines:

VTR SP1/2 Stage 1 = 130+ BHP Porting & Gasflowing, Tuned Slip-ons, PC3R + K&N filters, Airbox mods, Cooling fins, Fork tune, Penske Shock

Stage 2 = 140+BHP H/C Pistons, Porting & Gasflowing, Full engine”Blueprint”, Full tuned Exhaust system, Airbox mods (Special airbox and front scoop for Track only usage) PC3R + K&N filters, Cooling fins, Fork tune, Penske shock

Stage 3 = 158+BHP Full HRC/Moriwaki/ Revolution RACE ONLY Bike. This bike has everything and is capable of being competitive at top National level.



http://www.revolutionuk.co.uk/revyourbike.htm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most SP2's make about 128-130hp with PC and tuning?

Just recall seeing a few dyno charts posted...and I thought most were around the 130hp mark...just sayin...

2001 SP1 (sold)
2004 SP2 (properly stored)
2012 Ruckus (stolen)
2015 Grom (under construction)

Weyrauch pronounced (Y Rock)...Rock for short.

Semper Fidelis
weyrauchrc51 is offline  
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 08:31 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
madbuyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Indy
Posts: 8,335
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weyrauchrc51 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most SP2's make about 128-130hp with PC and tuning?

Just recall seeing a few dyno charts posted...and I thought most were around the 130hp mark...just sayin...
Most are at the 120 mark to be truthful, only those who tune properly with parts and mods get to the 130hp mark.

Getting past the 130 hp mark is something to behold. Hord Power is the place in the US to get that and some element of reliability.

gts is dead on about the HRC parts, you have to use these parts in conjunction with each other or you get no where...and I bet he has a whole lot of these stashed away somewhere here in the US.

Best of luck to you.



The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
madbuyer is offline  
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 09:32 AM
Lifetime Premium
 
Jetfuel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: WA state
Posts: 736
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Response received, looks like they even know about DHC's work across the pond

STAGE 2A TOP END ONLY UPGRADE
1) Supply Moriwaki pressurised airbox C/Fibre = £850.00 GBP FRP £695.00 GBP This the best one but DHC in Canada (Matthew Boux) makes a similar air box
2) YOUR OWN suitably Ported & Gasflowed and reconditioned cylinder heads including polished valves and re-shimming = £600.00 GBP*
3) Revolution Billet Performance camshafts with slotted cam wheels and complete valve spring kit = £1650.00 GBP
4) Moriwaki thermostat replacement kit = £235.00 GBP
If you do this you only need to send me the cylinderheads and I will do all the rest. You will only have to refit the heads and set the valve timing.

The following can be done locally in the USA

5) Remove the Flapper valve mechanism
6) Remove the paper filter from inside the OEM air filters
7) Fit Dynojet PC111 Power Commander
8) Independant Dyno tune to suit.
11) This must be used in conjunction with free-flowing (no baffles) Aftermarket Slip-on exhausts or Full exhaust

BHP aprox 145+ @ R/wheel


STAGE 2B
1) Supply Moriwaki pressurised airbox C/Fibre = £850.00 GBP FRP £695.00 GBP This the best air box but DHC in Canada (Matthew Boux) makes a similar air box
2) YOUR OWN suitably Ported & Gasflowed and reconditioned cylinder heads including polished valves and re-shimming = £600.00 GBP*
3) Revolution Billet performance camshafts with slotted cam wheels and complete valve spring kit = £1650.00 GBP
4) Moriwaki thermostat replacement kit = £235.00 GBP
5) JE 11.1:1 Hi-Comp Pistons = £365.00 GBP It may be cheaper for you to buy these in the USA and ship them to me
6) Lighten, polish and balance crankshaft and con rods = £450.00 GBP (optional)
7) Crankcase modifications to relieve down stroke pressure = Inc in labour charge
11) Honda parts for total engine rebuild with new main bearings, big end bearings, all oil seals and gaskets etc = £200.00 GBP
14) Labour Costs = £1150.00 GBP (Labour is included in the P&Ging charges)

The following can be done locally in the USA

5) Remove the Flapper valve mechanism
6) Fit K&N Filters
7) Fit Dynojet PC111 Power Commander or the Czechoslovakian IGNITEC reprogrammable ECU (see Internet for company info)
8) Independant Dyno tune to suit.
11) This must be used in conjunction with free-flowing (no baffles) Aftermarket Slip-on exhausts or Full exhaust
Full exhaust is more suitable fot this spec than Slip-ons

BHP aprox 150+ @ R/wheel (Maximum previously achieve 160 bhp)

1986 Honda Interceptor...learned on it
1988 Yamaha Radian...wheelied on it
1990 Yamaha FZR...friend totaled it
1997 Honda Shadow...wife stole it
1998 Yamaha YZF...noob tree'd it
2002 Honda 954RR...just sold it
2005 RC51...finally found it

...if I stop runnin' the evil little clowns will get me!
Jetfuel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome