just got a rc51 - any ideas? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
just got a rc51 - any ideas?

i just got a rc51 about a month ago. i bought it from a guy that didnt have it very long and wasnt sure about everything that was done to it as far as performance goes. he bought it from a guy that did some track days on it so the bike technically is by far good enough for the street. heres what it has done to it as far as i know:

K&N air cleaner
PCIIIUSB - but i dont know what map it has on it
yoshi carbonfibre slip-ons
header is wrapped
ohlins rear suspension
front forks have racetech gold valve kit installed
GPR steering damp.
vortex rear sets
then just various other stuff...grips, undertail blah blah.

the bike rides very very well and sticks thru the corners with great response and feedback. the power is incredible (especially since i just sold an aprilia rs250 i love the bike how it is honestly but i love to tinker with all my bikes and i was wondering if there was any tricks that you guys know about that i could try out or at least look for that may already be done to the bike.

ive been seeing people talk about hard and soft rev. maybe unrestrict it... im up for anything just to try and know how to do it if i feel like doing it you know.

thanks everybody!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 03:13 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
A lot of this is posted on RC51.org

Some of it is dated but still holds true.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 08:16 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The suspension is already somewhat sorted, but you should set the sag for your weight and make sure that it is all adjusted correctly as people who don't know what they are doing have probably turned a few knobs.

Check the map and see if it is canned one off the dynonet website. If it is, get the bike tuned, but do the soft rev eliminator first. Also ensure that the flapper and pair mods have been done and change the spark plugs since you don't know how old they are. Even if the guy told you, it is only like $20 and if they were bad, you will be able to tell just by feel after you change them.

Then: trackdays, trackdays, trackdays.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yea i was planning on playing with the suspension sooner or later. ill get to the little mods you mentioned this weekend most likely. as far as the map goes...i have one of those LCD touch screens for the powercommander that i used on a few bikes a couple years ago. i had real good success on my buddy's 06 r6. it was a totally different bike after adjusting with that thing. i am aware that its a pretty vague tuning bc it only gives you access to low, mid and high rev ranges so what your adjusting is basically a 1/3 of the total range each time (if i remember correctly). so if i dont find good results by "the seat of the pants" method then ill end up getting it tuned on a dyno sooner or later too. thanks for the advice. and as far as track days go...i wont be going to the track any time soon to be honest. work on the road and the lack of balls i used to have is keeping me away im in cruise mode with the wife right now...trying to ignore her "get a harley" comments haha. NEVER!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode