aftermarket coils? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
aftermarket coils?

I found this on yahoo auction in japan just wondering if anyone thinks this is a good idea or a load of crap, "dyno" results look good for 4-5k
http://page21.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/j...ion/j155470356
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 07:29 AM

I doubt you would see any performance improvement from those.

I just finished the 600RR coil on plug mod, which I feel to be a good mod.

The 600RR sticks won't increase power or anything but it will clean some wires up in the bike, eliminate the large coils, and remove a point of failure from the system (the wires going from the coil to the plug).

The CDI system can create a stronger spark compared to TCI ("typical" ignition system) anyway by discharging a high voltage capacitor (~300V) into the coil. This creates an extremely fast rise time on the primary winding of the coil. I wouldn't be surprised if the stock coils are producing 40kV due to the CDI.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrabulator View Post
I doubt you would see any performance improvement from those.

I just finished the 600RR coil on plug mod, which I feel to be a good mod.

The 600RR sticks won't increase power or anything but it will clean some wires up in the bike, eliminate the large coils, and remove a point of failure from the system (the wires going from the coil to the plug).

The CDI system can create a stronger spark compared to TCI ("typical" ignition system) anyway by discharging a high voltage capacitor (~300V) into the coil. This creates an extremely fast rise time on the primary winding of the coil. I wouldn't be surprised if the stock coils are producing 40kV due to the CDI.
Back when I was a kid, I had a Kawasaki F5 Bighorn dual-purpose bike.
It used CDI and had 50K volt output.
It used surface gap spark plugs, and it never fouled a plug, no matter what (one thing I loved about that bike).
If you pulled the plug and laid it on the head and cranked the engine over, you had no problem seeing the spark in daylight.
Looked more like an arc welder. And hurt like hell if you ever got zapped by it.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

well if i come across some spare change i might look into getting this and report back. japanese are notorious for making shiny parts that dont live up to their pretty exteriors but every once in a while you find something that you cant live without. I talked to a guy at a local dealership (my japanese sucks) and he says that he has never had them on a vtr but they work wonders on ducatis.... whats 200 bucks anyways....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode