modding superhawk exhaust to fit RC? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
modding superhawk exhaust to fit RC?

hey guys. as many of us on here are probably low on the green dough $$ like me.. ive been toying with the idea of getting a Dan Moto Exhaust that fits a Superhawk.. and well.. modifying whatever i need to make it fit the RC..

anyone tried this? i can drop 245$ shipped. ive got a saw, and a decent welder. shouldnt be a problem if i have to mod it much... i looked at the bike bandit app, and the only difference seems to be the mid pipe is a wee bit longer on the RC. i know ill take heat for ordering the "cheap chinese crap" but i dont care. ill do a quick write up when they arrive. i ordered them yesterday.. they shouldnt be too big a deal to make work..

To clarify.. i will be modding the Dan Moto slip ons... not my header pipe.. only the cheap slip ons.
cause lets be honest.. who doesnt love the sound of an angry free breathing twin
open to all thoughts, and comments.

Last edited by jnbrvtr; 03-05-2012 at 10:20 PM. Reason: clarification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 10:04 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
RC's Stock headers are the best ones for this bike. They show very good numbers on the dyno considering you have stock cams, pistons, rods etc.
Making an exhaust header pipe is quite a task if you want it to work properly and make the "breathing" process of the engine, the best you can have. Maybe it would be easier to grab a used header from Ben at rc51parts.com and be confident that it will do it's job no matter what.

My Íhlins Project: https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6033
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
Congratulation to MakisRC51 for winning the 2014 Bike Of The Year Contest!
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

im not modding the header... the only thing ill be doing is cutting/grinding/welding on the Dan Moto slip on's... to make them fit the RC header.. not touching the original headers....

only looking for a cheap alternative for slip ons.. i wanna hear my twin cylinders pumping.

sorry if the first was not clear

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 10:31 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
I apologize then since I am from Greece and I get lost in the translation sometimes
You should check if the Dan Moto's inner diameter is suitable for the RC in that case. The RC's engine is more demanding and extreme, when it comes to the "breathing" process, than the Super hawk's. Make sure you don't "plug" it eventually.

My Íhlins Project: https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6033
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
Congratulation to MakisRC51 for winning the 2014 Bike Of The Year Contest!
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 10:43 PM

I have Dan Moto exhaust on my CBR1000RR and love it. I thought about getting it for my blackbird too. You may want to get the slip ons he has for the CBR1100XX vice VTR1000F as you may have more room to play to make them work.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrbear View Post
I have Dan Moto exhaust on my CBR1000RR and love it. I thought about getting it for my blackbird too. You may want to get the slip ons he has for the CBR1100XX vice VTR1000F as you may have more room to play to make them work.
Why the cbr1100?? The mid pipes on that one Are nearly straight... Where as the Superhawk ones are both bent and should match the RC a lot closer.
Im expecting to have to either cut and rotate the mids for a better angle, or just plain lengthening them.

I'm surprised no one has tried this yet. As this is a way cheaper method than any of the other brands out there. Still awaiting delivery !
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnbrvtr View Post
Why the cbr1100?? The mid pipes on that one Are nearly straight... Where as the Superhawk ones are both bent and should match the RC a lot closer.
Im expecting to have to either cut and rotate the mids for a better angle, or just plain lengthening them.

I'm surprised no one has tried this yet. As this is a way cheaper method than any of the other brands out there. Still awaiting delivery !

I have a CBR1100XX and they arent straight, like I said my opinion and my opinion only I have one on my CBR1000RR and was going to put them on my CBR1100XX because I love the sound and when I was looking at doing it I was going to buy the link pipes and put my two brothers on my RC then I was like hmmm maybe I should do the same with the danmotos on the RC and for me it looked easier to do with the CBR1100XX than the VTR1000F. I ended up scoring a yamamoto full ti system for my RC so I never followed through but that was the road I was going to do. I know exhaust size the XX is the same as the RC. I am curious to know what all you had to do though. I do know that Dan will send you a bunch of elbow pieces and bends so if you have to cut or mod he will send you all the stuff you need just up to you to have it welded once you figure out the routing!! This I talked with him about a year or so ago.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 06:00 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
You all should burn in hell for mentioning the Dan Moto name....now my bank account sets a little lower today

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 04:41 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My buddy just bought their exhaust for his GSXR 125 plus shipping I think was what he paid and he was happy with it.
May go on my race bike if I decide I hate his two Brothers as much as he did on the street.

CBRbear was that your 09 that you put it on? do you have a pic of it on your 1000rr?
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 12:30 PM

09 Repsol Edition

Yeah I put it on my 09 CBR1000RR. I also bought the leo vince carbon insert for like 80 bucks so all in all I got 200 into the exhaust!!! It sounds awesome! I get compliments EVERYWHERE with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	both wheels.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	2427  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode