Fuel map numbers question - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fuel map numbers question

Hi,

I was just comparing two power commander maps for an SP2. One is for a European RC with Yoshimura slip ons, and the other for a non-European (apparently) RC with Yoshimura slip ons. My question is: when looking at the numbers in a certain bracket, say 60% throttle opening at 6,000 rpms, does a negative number (-6) mean less fuel is being sent than a positive number (1)?

05 RC51

08 CBR 1000 (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 01:17 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
The numbers in the brackets, are percentage alterations that the PC III adds on the stock ECM's signals before they reach the injector.
If you have a 4+3 = 7. If you have a 4+ (-6)= -2 and that is interpreted in duration of volts applied on the injector.

My Íhlins Project: https://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6033
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSailor View Post
Congratulation to MakisRC51 for winning the 2014 Bike Of The Year Contest!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 02:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakisRC51 View Post
The numbers in the brackets, are percentage alterations that the PC III adds on the stock ECM's signals before they reach the injector.
If you have a 4+3 = 7. If you have a 4+ (-6)= -2 and that is interpreted in duration of volts applied on the injector.
Okay, I think I got it. So it's either adding to or taking away voltage on any given rpm/throttle opening from the map that the factory installs in the ECU? Does the amount of voltage applied to the injector determine how much fuel it sends? So the closer to zero the percentage is, the closer to stock the map is?

05 RC51

08 CBR 1000 (sold)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 05:15 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponch 7M4 View Post
Okay, I think I got it. So it's either adding to or taking away voltage on any given rpm/throttle opening from the map that the factory installs in the ECU? Does the amount of voltage applied to the injector determine how much fuel it sends? So the closer to zero the percentage is, the closer to stock the map is?
The voltage, that is applied on the injectors, is not variable. The duration of the applied voltage is altered by the PC III. Longer period applied = more fuel
Zero on the PC III mean stock voltage duration on the injector.

What I say is what I think from previous observations. If someone disagree, please chime in

Quote:
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 05:46 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Usually there is a constant voltage applied to each injector when ignition is on. Duration of injection is controlled by the ecu when it earths injectors during induction cycle. Does the rc51 ecu work this same way, or are they always earthed & voltage applied?

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 06:10 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Usually there is a constant voltage applied to each injector when ignition is on. Duration of injection is controlled by the ecu when it earths injectors during induction cycle. Does the rc51 ecu work this same way, or are they always earthed & voltage applied?
They are indeed sinking Stig....

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 02:39 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
These are WINTER questions, my dear friend

I will check that on my next big service job.

From what I can tell on a quick glance to the wiring diagram:
Each injector has a Black/White wire that comes from the bank angle sensor which triggers it with positive current from the single red wire, that is attached on the battery's positive terminal, with that single coupler.
That Black/white wire also goes to the ECM as well (not through the bank angle relay though).
So Black/white wire is a constant positive current.
The other wires from the injectors (Pink, Pink/Blue, Pink/Black and Pink/Green) are connected to the ECM as well.
So I strongly believe that Stig has a point there!

Quote:
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 06:10 AM
Lifetime Premium

Sorry Makis, didn't mean to make you go spend time checking wiring diagrams on your weekend, buddy!
I figured as most standalone ECU's on cars work this way to control injectors, the rc would probably have been the same.
ECU's are something I play with sometimes, only on cars usually, never on bikes....yet!
Thanks for checking anyways.
Enjoy the Greek spring weather!

Euro RC51 SP2: HRC WSB Ti Hi-Level, T1 Airbox & Snorkel, PCIII, Dymag CA5 Carbon Wheels, Ti64 Spindles (F, R & Swing Arm), Mori Link, Maxton GP7 Shock & Ohlins 832 Forks, Brembo GP Calipers & SBK narrow track (F), Braketech Disc (R), Brembo billet Underslung x 2 Brembo RCS, Tyga Triple, 7075 Stem, Probolt Titanium all over, Babyface rearsets, MR Complete Carbon Lineup, Custom Undertail & CBR 1000 LED, Watsen LED Indicators, Harris Brace, Giles clip-ons, Corbin seat, etc. 2013 BOTY.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 08:28 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Sorry Makis, didn't mean to make you go spend time checking wiring diagrams on your weekend, buddy!
I actually live for these moments and I am grateful for giving me a new "how it works" homework.

Quote:
Thanks for checking anyways.
Enjoy the Greek spring weather!
I am looking for another RC to do so ..... you're welcome to join me if you want

Quote:
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 07:53 PM
Lifetime Premium

LOL, I've got a few more questions in my head about what sort of ECU & fueling the SP2 has, but maybe we should save them for next winter, or a rainy day eh...

I'd love to ride to Greece again someday, - but I'm a bit further away these days!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode