Engine Ice - Over Priced ?? - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Engine Ice - Over Priced ??

Hey gang...wanted to make sure I am not being sold a bill of goods as it were.

We had a VERY mild winter down here, as in not many days below freezing ( 2 or 3 maybe...and I mean MAYBE !)

So I figure this means our summer is going to be brutal !

Talked to Honda first about changing out my coolant from whatever it is now, to Engine Ice. They told me that I would need a minimum of 6 qt's and since it only comes in gallons (2) would be required - $100 + 2 hours of labor @ $90 per hour ( $180 + Tax )

Approx $300 for the change out seems really high ?? or am I being cheap ??

2001 SP1 - Code Name F-Bomb - PCIII USB / D&D High Mount System / 42T / EK SRX 530X / CRG Levers / K&N Filters / Stomp Grip / Rev Limiter Mod / Flapper Mod / PAIR Mod / Undertail / Hugger / 6K HID Lights / Speigler lines / Wave Rotors / CF Airbox / Shorai Battery - More to come, as soon as my slush fund get's more "Slushy" !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thats ridiculously high. I just did mine, I got two gallons for $22 a piece at my local Cycle Gear and did it myself. Very easy to do as I am not very mechanically inclined. Even if you dont want to do it yourself, buy the Engine Ice yourself and take the parts to a shop to put in. Does seem to make my bike run a bit cooler. Rode in 80 degree whether and didnt break 200 F.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Wow !!! I will go to Cycle Gear and pick some up...!! The Service guys told me the following

Drain old fluid - burp system
Add 3 Qt's Ice
approx 1 hour

Drain Ice - Burp System
Add 3 Qt's Ice
approx 1 hour

I am not mechanically inclined, but I wasn't born yesterday and it just seemed wrong

2001 SP1 - Code Name F-Bomb - PCIII USB / D&D High Mount System / 42T / EK SRX 530X / CRG Levers / K&N Filters / Stomp Grip / Rev Limiter Mod / Flapper Mod / PAIR Mod / Undertail / Hugger / 6K HID Lights / Speigler lines / Wave Rotors / CF Airbox / Shorai Battery - More to come, as soon as my slush fund get's more "Slushy" !

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Something is wrong there... I sell it for $21 per half gallon and I don't even really make a profit on it I simply carry a couple bottles on hand just as a convenience to my customers.

At any rate, flush the system with distilled water and then once that is drained refill and burp with the engine ice. No sense in wasting Engine Ice for the flushing process.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yeah, that's really expensive for an job that easy
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Wow...ok even better....didn't think of distilled water for the flush...those are about $.89 per jug...

Thanks guys..I really appreciate the help

My goal is to work my way up the best things for my bike...just might take me a bit longer and I know it will cost me more...but I am ok with it. That way, I will have a point of reference and can really understand why somethings are better.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do it yourself.. it isn't really that hard. Engine ice is very over rated though, coming from someone who just put some in his bike. Water Wetter redline is supposed to cool much more efficiently and apparently you can mix antifreeze with it. I just installed a 5.2" spal pusher too, that helped massively. As soon as the fans kick on, temps drop.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
I use both Engine Ice and Water Wetter additive with distilled water (plus Liquid Performance as well) and as far as dropping coolant temps it's all bullshit...

I use whatever it takes to make my bike legal for the rules at any given track event... Most places are cool with Engine Ice now, but some tracks still insist on no coolant so Water Wetter is the only alternative.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 02:22 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
I scored my 2 gallons of Engine Ice on Amazon for $60 recently (that's $15 per half gallon container).

'06 Black/Metallic Gray RC51
-Competition Werkes FE w/
Clear Alternatives IT

'02 Silver/Black CBR 954RR
'11 Graphite Black CBR 1000RR (sold '15)
'08 Pearl Orange CBR 600RR (sold '11)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Water wetter ?? I will go research that one as well..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode