Running too Rich - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Running too Rich

I purchased my 02 RC51 last week from a guy who only put 480 miles on it and just let it set for a few years. I am now having problems where the bike is running extremely rich. I completely siphoned out the tank and ran the bike out of the bad gas. I also put in new plugs hoping that the computer would correct the gas exchange. The bike will stall out at a complete stop or when I approach a red light. I am not for sure if I have clogged injectors but would appreciate any advise from someone who has experienced these same issues. Also, what is the cost for this issue and will I be able to do it myself or should I let the honda mechanics tackle it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Took the bike to honda and found out that the fuel pump regulator went bad and was pumping to much fuel pressure. It was pumping 85 psi when it should pump 50 psi causing the bike to run rich and stall out when the bike warmed up. I am just thankful it is only a $120 fix.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

The bike came out of the shop a couple of days ago and is running like it should. Thank goodness it was just a minor fix. The fuel regulator was responsible for the stalling out when I came to a complete stop and the rich exhaust smell. Now it is time for the sprockets. What are the benefits of vortex vs. AFAM? Can't decide which company to go with. And will my stock chain fit with a 15/42 set up? The chain only has 1100 miles on it and I hate to dispose of it.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 10:37 AM

good news on your simple fix.
i dropped a tooth up front and could easily stand a tooth or two more in the rear.
i kept the chain too. it was in great shape, why get rid of it???
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 01:58 PM

i recently purchased an 03 that has only 3900 miles on it but has yosh exhaust on it and it feels and smells like it is running extremely rich! wonder if i am having same problem
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Does your bike have a tendency to stall out on you when you come to a complete stop? My bike ran just fine when it was cold but when it warmed up it would start to flood itself. The fuel pump was pumping way to much fuel and my gas mileage was horrible as well. The honda engineers advised my mechanic to check out the fuel regulator since the bike has been sitting for so long, and since the fix, the bike has been running great.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 10:09 PM

The 1st tank of gas i only got 80 miles to the tank and that is when i started looking into things a little more closely. After your bike got warm did the idle speed increase and did you have to crack the throttle just a bit to get it to crank hot?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

When the bike was hot I did have to open the throttle a little for the bike to start. It sounds to me that your regulator could also be going bad.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 06:48 PM

Sounds like the fuel reg. I would replaced it.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 05:20 PM

MY 2001 is doing the same thing and I have been banging my head against a wall to figure it out but I am going to replace my regulator and see if that works. I will let you know but thank you if this solves my problem-very embarrassing to have your bike die everytime you stop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode