RC51 Forums banner

Please help

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  robertj1979 
#1 ·
So we just put a new engine in my 2001 RC51 and we realized that 2 bolt mounts for the clutch sprocket cover are broken. Guy who sold it obviously knew. Well, engine sounds like a beast, but this is F'd!

Any suggestions other than putting in another engine??

Weld? Helicoils, build up mounts then drill and tap?

Sprocket cover was on when install so we had no idea intil ig was ready to put the chain on.

In New Jersey in case someone has any options.

#6 · (Edited)
Definitely make sure when you install a new chain that you get the chain "staked" and do not use the clip type. I had a motorcycle dealer install a new chain and sprockets and trusted them which was a mistake. Found out the hard way when the chain came off that they used a cheap 530 chain not designed for street bikes and a clip. Chain came off and since then will not blindly trust a dealer again. Lucky for me it came off in a parking lot at very low speed and only cracked the magnesium front sprocket cover but no serious damage to me or the bike. Would hate to see what would have happened if it came off at highway speed and your bike is probably an example of that. Good luck with the build and glad you got the repair and kickstand switch location figured out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.