Oil filter study - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oil filter study

Just wondering if somebody knows of a independent oil filter study for aftermarket and OEM. Tried do some searching but couldn't find anything. I run OEM but I know alot of ppl run K&N filters. Just wondering if there is any gain?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 07:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
stick with the OEM, what gain do you think your gonna get from a oil filter?

"...Loctite -- or kiss your nuts goodbye..."
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 10:13 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
http://www.motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html

Try here. More filter media is nice to have when filtering oil. Stock or OEM is not always best. I use the Purolator filter. It does have more media and no flow reduction issues.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 11:31 AM

Ive been using the puralotor filter also for the last 6 yrs ! More volume
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 01:47 AM

Mad/Dan what Purolator do you guys use?

2004 RC51 Nicky Hayden, PCMIII, Sato-Low Mount
1994 FZR600, KTMSXC625 Thumper, Honda Metro, 150cc Puma
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 01:54 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
I've never used a Purolator filter, I use Amsoil filters in my Wing, Duramax truck and will in the RC as well. Only other filter I'd consider is a Wix. Like Bob says "oil is the lifeblood of your engine, the filter is the kidney"

Duct tape can't fix stupid...but it sure helps muffle the sound
'03 SP2, '09 GL1800
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 07:23 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
after reading the article I have been using a Mobil 1 MB-108 the article says is a good one.

2004 RC51 with multipul mods
1985 VF1000R SOLD 😭
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 07:26 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
My concern with most of the aftermarket filters are they cover all the RC51 years. The 00 runs a different filter for a reason. It has taken me some time to find where I read this. I found it on the Rouge site.

The blue 00 filter is slightly longer than the black 01 filter.
The main difference between the two filters is the pressure relief valve [bypass valve] inside the filter. The internal oil pressure is different on the 01/02 engine. The reason the black filter is shorter is to clear the headers on the 954 which uses the same filter as the 01/02/03 RC51. Honda decided to have one filter to cover several engines. The blue 00 filter has not been discontinued. The black filter will fit the 00 engine but the bypass valve can open at high rpm due to oil pressure and bypass the filter media.
Use the blue filter on the 00 engine and the black filter on 01 up.

what you are implying is that the '00 has higher oil pressure than the other model years (which seems odd because the oil pump is the same part number?). So it would be ok to run the blue filter on later year bikes (except that maybe in the event of filter failure with the blue filter the oil pressure might not be high enough to bypass)?

The 00 motor can see a higher oil flow to the filter at high rpm than the 01/02 motor. Honda changed the internal oil pressure relief valve inside the engine in 01. The purpose of the valve inside the oil filter is to open in case the filter becomes clogged allowing oil to bypass the filter media. All engines are rated at 63 psi at 5000 rpm at the filter. The black filter works on the 00 motor. At sustained high rpm's, such as on the race track the black filter may bypass some oil. This will not harm the engine. All filters with bypass valves will bypass some oil under certain conditions such as start up in very cold weather. The internal engine bypass valve can open under certain conditions completly bypassing the oil filer.
The net is if you have blue filters available run the blue filter on the 00 engine, black filters on 01-03.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
My concern with most of the aftermarket filters are they cover all the RC51 years. The 00 runs a different filter for a reason. It has taken me some time to find where I read this. I found it on the Rouge site.

The blue 00 filter is slightly longer than the black 01 filter.
The main difference between the two filters is the pressure relief valve [bypass valve] inside the filter. The internal oil pressure is different on the 01/02 engine. The reason the black filter is shorter is to clear the headers on the 954 which uses the same filter as the 01/02/03 RC51. Honda decided to have one filter to cover several engines. The blue 00 filter has not been discontinued. The black filter will fit the 00 engine but the bypass valve can open at high rpm due to oil pressure and bypass the filter media.
Use the blue filter on the 00 engine and the black filter on 01 up.

what you are implying is that the '00 has higher oil pressure than the other model years (which seems odd because the oil pump is the same part number?). So it would be ok to run the blue filter on later year bikes (except that maybe in the event of filter failure with the blue filter the oil pressure might not be high enough to bypass)?

The 00 motor can see a higher oil flow to the filter at high rpm than the 01/02 motor. Honda changed the internal oil pressure relief valve inside the engine in 01. The purpose of the valve inside the oil filter is to open in case the filter becomes clogged allowing oil to bypass the filter media. All engines are rated at 63 psi at 5000 rpm at the filter. The black filter works on the 00 motor. At sustained high rpm's, such as on the race track the black filter may bypass some oil. This will not harm the engine. All filters with bypass valves will bypass some oil under certain conditions such as start up in very cold weather. The internal engine bypass valve can open under certain conditions completly bypassing the oil filer.
The net is if you have blue filters available run the blue filter on the 00 engine, black filters on 01-03.
To add to this (Originally posted by Jondog9):

"I went to my dealership today. I asked the parts tech about the 2000's only oil filter. He told me this was right. And their records showed that I did get the blue one at first. That was last of stock and the black one now replaces it. He told me the part numbers.
For year 2000 it was 15410-MT7-505. the blue one.
Now it's superseded by 15410-MT7-003. the black one
For what it's worth."
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 08:00 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nochain View Post
Mad/Dan what Purolator do you guys use?
Purolator Pure One PL14612.....no troubles.

The very first schoolbook that was written had God all over it. --Dave Mustaine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode