Went with Mobil 1 4T today - Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Went with Mobil 1 4T today

I did my first oil change since i owned the bke, went with Mobil 1 4T and a little lucas oil stabilizer in the mix and a stock Honda filter, i also added a little water wetter to the cooling system just to be safe.

Engine sounds good and smooth, shifts nice and i never checked my temps before hand so i can give a testimonial on the water wetter but i can say dont forget to snap your coolant reservoir lid back on all the way, makes a mess when you go down the road.

$9.99 per qt of mobil 1 (14.99 at the stealership)

$11.99 for the oil filter

$9.99 for the water wetter

$9.99 for the lucas (had some in my garage anyway)

I also tossed some lucas fuel injector cleaner in there to try through a tank and next tank ill run some sea foam through it as well.

Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 09:41 AM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Thats what I run, with the K&N filter. I havent tryd any of the additives in the oil or gas.

How much you feel that helps out?

James
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 07:32 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Water wetter is well worth the money if you are in a high humid area. Dropped my temp about 10 degrees.

2004 RC51 with multipul mods
1985 VF1000R SOLD 😭

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 03:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_03_rc View Post
How much you feel that helps out?

James
Im really not sure to be honest, i only put like 6 miles on it since the change but i will let you know.

typically i notice a little better mileage and throttle response with the lucas/seafoam fuel stuff
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 07:55 AM

Not a big fan of Mobil 1 in my bikes. Ran it in my 08 600rr and after only a couple thousand miles I noticed the oil was breaking down and the bike was running a little rougher. Had to throw in new oil with my new RC and just used some Repsol, but will be doing another oil change soon with Royal Purple. Friends and roommate use in in there GSXR 1000's and love it, and I have used it in my turbo cars and loved it, so I will see if it works as well in the bike.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

I always use mobil 1 in my vehicles too and never had a issue, in my 85 nighthawk 450 and my 01 katana 600 so we'll see how this 3k goes but overall it seems to be recommended even by rc riders
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Mo View Post
Not a big fan of Mobil 1 in my bikes. Ran it in my 08 600rr and after only a couple thousand miles I noticed the oil was breaking down and the bike was running a little rougher. Had to throw in new oil with my new RC and just used some Repsol, but will be doing another oil change soon with Royal Purple. Friends and roommate use in in there GSXR 1000's and love it, and I have used it in my turbo cars and loved it, so I will see if it works as well in the bike.
SYNTHETIC OIL BREAKING DOWN???? Your kidding me right, and you noticed that how??? If I even suspected that was happening with my motor oil especially Mobil 1, which by the way there are numerous manufactures that will not honor warranty of their cars unless you use Mobil 1 oil, I would send the oil off to be analyzed and if they found the oil had "broke down" I would sue mobil 1 to completely rebuild my engine. And an FYI oil doesnt break down unless it becomes overheated... otherwise oil only becomes contaminated.....
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 12:50 PM
Lifetime Premium

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
I too also run Mobil 1 in everything I own. Never had any problems. Dad also ran the 20w50 race weight in the race car, Small block Chevy, 1/4mile asphalt oval, our normal op-temps were about 220-240, after most 10+lap races, the exhaust manifolds would glow a nice bright red, so there was plenty of engine heat. We never ran a oil temp sensor or cooler. Never had any problems with the oil. After 2 weeks of Wed practice, Fri night races, change the oil and it would still be a nice golden brown color. Hell, we used that oil in our street cars. But the lawn mower didnít like it come fall.

I have the 4T in my RC for about the last 1000miles, runs great, smooth, shifts are nice and crisp. Very happy with it.

James
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 07:40 PM

I didn't mean litterally I am able to tell if it broke down or not, just meant that it didn't seem to do as well as some other oils I have used in my bikes. I have ran Mobil 1 in my cars as well and never had a problem. Just didn't like seeing darker oil than I expected after only about 2k on it. Bike was def. running rougher (not to mention it was on a completely different bike). Sorry didn't mean to sound like I was able to analyze the oil at a molecular level or anything, just from the experience I had I will probably stick with some other synthetic oils. To each their own....
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 08:31 PM

Mobile One

ANOTHER OIL THREAD!!! Woo-Hoo!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda RC51 Forum : RC51 Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode